Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my my name is matt im new to this and i have a few questions and i dope you can help me out. I have a 1968 mustang with a 351 windsor and an AOD transmission out of a late 80's mustang. I currently have 2:50 gears because we got a 9 inch rear out a lincoln and i want to lower them to 3:73's or 4:10's I am leading towards the 4:10's because i am not going to be driving my car to far but i also want to know which ratio would pair up better with my transmission. I want to jump off the line if i give it gas, but still have top end power as well. Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Welcome to AFM! You should be able to get an answer in this area.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 68 Fastback with a 302 and C4 tranny with 4.11 gears. It will get up and go but at 60MPH I am turning right at 4,300 RPM. Needless to say I try to avoid any and all interstates. With you having an overdrive it wouldn't be so bad, but when it comes to rear ends you just have to pick your poison. 3.50-3.73 gears will give you good acceleration and adequate top end acceleration. Get all of your ratios together(transmission final drive gear, desired rear end gear, tire height) and plug them in the calculator located in the link.
RICHMOND Street Performance Calculator

You might also want to open the differential up and see(if it doesn't have a tag) if it has a locker of some sort because a lot of Lincolns were equipped with locking rear ends. That doesn't change anything, but that is always nice to set up while you are shopping and doing a overhaul on the rear end and it will give you better push off the line. You could put 4.90 gears in a car but without detroit lockers, you will just sit there melting your one lonely spinning wheel..

Happy Hunting:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
386 Posts
With a 9" your gear choices in the range you are talking about are 3.70 or 4.11. Personally, I wouldn't go lower geared than 3.70, even with an AOD as you will be revving pretty high. If you are interested in 3.50's let me know, I've got a pumpkin with a set of brand new 3.50's ready to go that I may be willing to part with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.