Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if my neutral safety switch on a 1968 convertible is bad or if I have other issues. The car will start in any gear park/reverse/neutral/drive and the backup lights will not work. I bought a new switch and installed in and think I've adusted it correctly with the #43 drill bit and I'm getting the same results. Is this a switch issue or is there something else electrical I should be looking at further down the line from the firewall harness. I trided to follow the wires and where they go inside the car but just couldn't seem to do so?

any help would be great trying to get the car inspected and this is holding up the process.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sounds like it's definitely in the safety switch circuit. Try unplugging the switch entirely. If the car still starts, then somehow both sides of the circuit are connected before the switch. If it doesn't start, then it's probably something with the new switch...either the switch itself, or how it's adjusted. It could also be that the shifter is somehow not engaging the bushing on the NSS...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure enough i disconnected the neutral safety switch at the firewall harness and the car still started. I don't know much about these things but are there any suggestions on what to look for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i figured it out it was wired directly from the ignition switch (key) to the starter relay and was bipassing the neutral safety switch I was able to run the wire into the neutral safety switch and it is now starting in park and neutral only. The backup lights still did not work so I took apart the backup light assembly and at some point water must have gotten in they the bulb was rusted into the socket and was not functioning a quick trip to Mustangs Unlimited and got the new backup light kit and everyting is working fine for now just waiting for the next issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a problem with my Start/Backup light switch. The car will only start in Neutral or Park but the backup lights will not come on. I have shorted the wires going to the backup lights and the lights will work. Is this a problem with the switch or do I need to look elsewhere?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts