Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. Well, the title says it all - we are in need of a recommendation for a header for our 1968 mustang with a 200CI inline six.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I got a dual outlet header for my I6. If you go that route I would Luke to know how where u get an exhaust kit for it because I can't find one and my header is just sitting in my room..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I got a dual outlet header for my I6. If you go that route I would Luke to know how where u get an exhaust kit for it because I can't find one and my header is just sitting in my room..
Follow the Classic Inlines link. Also, any muffler shop can make up your exhaust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the very helpful responses. Trusty - I haven't considered any other engine. Really I just want to drive this thing around as soon as possible and since I've got the exhaust manifold off I though about trying to get some 'cooler' sound. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure I will want more power one day :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Follow the Classic Inlines link. Also, any muffler shop can make up your exhaust.
Wow. Thank you. Iv been asking this question forever and nobody has sent me to this site! I want dual So will these kits for sure fit the header I have? I can't imagine headers being very different from eachother. And if I want to get better mufflers than the ones on the kit, is it possible to change them or are they going to be welded to the pipes?

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Have you considered the 300CI inline six, it can be made to make some serious power. :smoke:
The 300 engine can definitely make some serious power and whats nice is that they make a lot of performance parts for this engine. What you will find though is that this is a truck engine and was never designed to fit in a car. The big problem is that the 240/300 block is 4 inches longer than the 200/250. Also the deck height is several inches taller as well. there are no aftermarket motor mounts to fit it in even if you tried. So you would be left with having to fabricate everything to make it fit.

The 300 is practically bulletproof and would make an awesome firebreathing sleeper if you can shoehorn it into the engine compartment. I think you would need electric fans mounted in front of the radiator and the radiator itself would need to be substantially bigger as well. Power steering would probably be necessary for this setup, hoses and brackets would need to be fabricated as well. A bubble hood may be needed, maybe if it had the low profile electronic fuel injection factory unit it could possible workwithout it. headers may be a problem, again to fit it may be a fabrication only way to go. The great thing about doing this would be able to use an AOD 4 speed auto tranny and the gas mileage would be quite impressive. If anyone ever makes this conversion, please post pictures and story, I would love to try it someday.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Will the exhaust kits on the inline 6 website fit a header that isn't from them? If not, are there any sites with kits that will?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts