Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Mustang freaks :)

I have a 69 fastback with a 351W engine. It has Edelbrock Pro flow fuel injection March performance serpentine kit and therefore electric cooling. The radiator has been eq. with a 2 step thermo switch, så when low temp, the 2 fans runs half speed an hot it runs at full speed. The thermo device i placed at the bottom of the cooler. The thing is, that the engine gets hot. About 210 215 deg/F.
The fans can cool the engine to 170 when the engine is running in the garage, but it then has run at full speed at all time and its noisy..Im thingking two things : Move the cooling thermostat to the top of the cooler (not easy) or see if i can find a thermostat that has a lower setpoint.
The question is : what is the normal working temperature for that engine ? does anyone know ? My hope is that its okay as is.

Thanks.
Anders, Denmark

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The "standard" temperature is 180 -190F.
If you have 180 F thermostat in it then it should stay about there. The top of the radiator is the hottest part so that is where your themo-switch should be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul.
I was thinking of making a electronic switch where the temp sensor should be mounted in the termostat housing after the thermostat (eq the top of the radiator, theres a blind hole for that anyway) and i might do the job. Could be made ajustable = more easy to find the rigt setpoints for keeping the engine at 180 - 190..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts