Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up my first classic mustang and am finding my way around! Just got the Marti Report which says my car left the factory with power steering, however it no longer has power steering installed. I purchased from the second owner and he stated no PS.

Is there anything that I can look at that might tell me if it did indeed have power steering at some point?

BTW, the Marti Report also stated tinted windows but I do not have those either. Is it possible the report is wrong? I can not imagine anyone replacing all of the windows...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi! Unfortunately, there is nothing in the VIN nor drivers door data plate that indicates if P/S was on the car originally. I have never heard of anyone finding incorrect info on the Marti report. So it is pretty likely that your car had it. It may be possible to check the casting # on the steering box and figure out if it is a manual or power gear box, but that's beyond me. Converting a car from P/S to manual is an easy, but maybe not real common switch (did it to my '67 cause I find the vintage P/S is overboosted, and doesn't provide any road feedback.

Tinted windows refers to the front windshield, and it was a subtle tinting. Not like a dark aftermarket tint job. So you may have it and not realize, or it could have easily been replaced.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You don't mention if the car appears to have been restored or modified in the past.

The original Ford power steering system is prone to leaks and there are people who remove it from the cars, very possible this was done to yours. If the steering box is original to the car then it should have a tag with "SMB-K" on it indicating a 1969 power steering box with a 16.1 ratio.

As mentioned the tinted glass back then was very subtle (faint), basically a greenish tint. The side glass could be tinted along with the windshield. Holding a piece od white paper behind the glass is an easy test as clear glass was standard and the paper would have no change in color/tint.

(Ford's power steering system had everything attached to the center link and would move back and forth as the car steered including the PS hoses. Alot of hose wear and a poor design and problematic. GM had it right with thier Saginaw steering boxes and why Ford switched to using the GM style boxes starting in the early 70s.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies! It does not appear that the car has been restored or modfied, just bits and pieces done here and there. It is my intention to bring it back close to original with a couple of small modifications.

As for the tinited windows, I did start to think about what exactly tinted windows in 1969 meant. It does appear that they have a very slight green tint to them so thank you for confirming that.

I will take a look at the steering box and see if I can read any numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts