Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pan that came on the 1969 mach I had the dipstick tube hole in the from sump area pluged. the tube in the block goes into the back of the pan were it hits the shallow area but does not touch the oil to give me a proper level reading.
This pan is is also one full inch or more "shollower" than the original 69 302 oilpan which, the original, seems it would hold more oil but has no dipstck hole in the front by the sump.

Should i use the shollow pan with the tube in the front?
How much less oil will this use and will it effect the engine cooling?
Is there a 302 deep front sump pan that has a distick tube port in the sump area?
Also the factory 5.0 HO headers are hiting the stearing gear box. what headers would be good for theis car. power stearing and brakes are factory.
Will a cross over make a big diference in my performance?
thanks guys this is my first Mustang in 20 Years. I got it for my 40th from my wife!
Help.
Amazon Perry

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
you need to get an old style timing cover and front sump oil pan. with the old pan off, clean and plug the old dipstick tube in the engine block. You can use a wooden dowel, tap and bolt - your choice

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The old style timing cover with the dipstick provision is available in reproduction form and is offered by many vendors. Unless you are going to use an electric fuel pump, you will need to use the old style cover. The newer covers don't have a provision for mounting a mechanical pump. You also need to use the original front sump oil pan or one like it. Most of the late model 5.0 HO engines used a pan with a kind of split sump. One sump a little larger than the other. This is not the pan that you will want to use. It is designed for the Newer Mustangs. Both the old and new style pans hold the same amount of oil. 4 US quarts plus 1 qt for the filter.

Canton Racing Products makes a deep front sump oil pan to fit your car that has a provision for its own dipstick. It holds 7 qts including the filter. This is the pan that I'm using, but I have the factory design dipstick in use. I believe that Milidon also makes a similar pan to the Canton. More oil capacity contributes to more effective engine cooling.

The side of the block dipstick hole can be plugged with a small sized plug that looks like a tiny freeze plug. It comes with the new old design timing covers, if you buy one. The block hole can also be threaded and plugged if you choose.

Hooker makes a good line of headers for the Mustang. There are several price ranges and the cheaper ones fit and work nicely. It is best to install a crossover between the two exhaust pipes. This helps to balance the exhaust pulses and aides in torque production. The sound of the exhaust will smoothen out, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts