Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I have an 1969 Mustang with a 250 under the hood,
I'm starting the work on the 351W right now, But not sure what all I'll need to make this swap go well.

The 250 is automatic transmission, The 351W will be manual but has a auto flexplate on it.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
You'll need the chassis and engine motor mounts for a small block. The trans/chassis mount should be fine, however I would replace the rubber mount. The flex plate will have to go and you'll need a flywheel from a pre 85 smallblock. Used is okay provided there are no cracks. They can be resurfaced. Also a bellhousing to match the flywheel. Next is all the clutch linkage and pedal. This gives you a start.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thank you for the info, especially on the mounts and everything.
I know the flywheel needs to be like '28 oz unbalanced' I think,
I want to replace the mounts for sure I think, I'm not sure where to find them tho.

After I find out my flywheel I'll need help picking the perfect bellhouseing and clutch I want.

It's going to be a fun project xD

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome.

Glad to see you are interested in switching a motor. If you are doing the swap just for a project and aren't expecting a powerful/fast car, wonderful. On the other hand, if you are looking for some decent power, i'd rethink your decision if you haven't already. The 351w is DEFINITELY capable, however, sadly a 1978 model was plagued with tons of emission nonsense that put flywheel horsepower around 140-150. Not even considerably more than the 250 cid inline 6. Heck, 4 cylinder honda's right out of the factory have more horsepower.

So, if you are looking for a powerful vehicle, use the 351w short block, junk the old heads and install a set of aluminum heads....high lift/duration cam, and performance intake/headers and carb. If money is tight, then get a used set of quality IRON heads...but you'll definitely need the cam, intake, headers, and carb to match.

best of luck. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh I'm replacing and upgrading a bunch of parts, so the emission nonsense should go with them. Yep I'm pretty much going to do exactly what you've said :)

Thank you very much man, it's very appreciated.
If you find out anything about the mounts or and sources please let me know

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ohh I'm replacing and upgrading a bunch of parts, so the emission nonsense should go with them. Yep I'm pretty much going to do exactly what you've said :)

Thank you very much man, it's very appreciated.
If you find out anything about the mounts or and sources please let me know
ok, cool. I didn't know you already thought of that. There are some folks that do not realize that many mid 70's and 80's engines have very little power. The factory heads choke out the engine something horrible.

Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah that's true, but I've done a little research those years are when they started big with better emissions standards.

Luckily I want to build up the engine anyway,
And thank you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Impuls; If you're serious about an engine swap to V8 power, save all your I6 parts (including engine mounts). I wouldn't mind having some spares for my ride.
Also, don't be afraid of a 351W, just make sure you use a good set of aluminum heads. My son has built a very stout Windsor around a '70 block and Ford SVO "Y" heads for his 68 coupe. It does drink the go-juice though; and fuel prices being what they are, you just might consider a 5.0 or 5.8 F.I. swap. Power with a certain degree of economy and excellent reliability is a winner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are very right about that, Yeah I'm going to be saving all the I6 parts, I'm having my heads ordered today or soon, and I ordered and intake manifold for it as well, It's coming together, I just need to find a flywheel,bellhousing,clutch,tranny to put behind it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts