Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 69 Coupe that has the lower powered 302. I am planning on replacing the stock 2 barrel carburetor and manifold with an Edelbrock performer intake, a 2" 4 hole Carburetor Spacer and a 600cfm 4 barrel Electric choke Edelbrock Carburetor.

I have not attempted the install yet but just looking at the connections the carburetor connections look different. If anyone has done this before is there anything I should be aware of? Possible issues? Other things I might need before I start? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
déjà vu

Hello,

I am new to the forum and looking for some advice. I have a 69 Coupe that has the lower powered 302. I am planning on replacing the stock 2 barrel carburetor and manifold with an Edelbrock performer intake, a 2" 4 hole Carburetor Spacer and a 600cfm 4 barrel Electric choke Edelbrock Carburetor.

I have not attempted the install yet but just looking at the connections the carburetor connections look different. If anyone has done this before is there anything I should be aware of? Possible issues? Other things I might need before I start? Thanks in advance for the assistance.
I just joined the forum because I read this post after searching the web for the same information. My setup is different in that I was going to use a manual choke because my current carb is setup that way and I hadn't thought of the spacer. I would like to keep the OEM filter setup and was wondering if I can when replacing the original manifold and carb with an Edelbrock Performer and Edelbrock 4V carb (p/n:1406) while maintaining enough hood clearance.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Everything will still hook up. You may need to buy a few fittings, but it will hook up. The vacuum advance will attach to the front of the carburetor, power brakes can attach to the back, there's a place on the manifold for the auto tranny vacuum stuff, etc.

As for the air cleaner, I'm not sure on that one. The carburetor sits slightly higher than stock, but not much. The biggest problem you may come up with is the air cleaner not clearing the carburetor. In this case, you'll have to buy an air cleaner spacer. I'm using one on my setup because of this same issue, and I have no hood clearance issues, so you'll probably be just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Paul. I probably won't attempt for a couple weeks. I will let you know if I come across any issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah i wonder how it all went down..... i'm going to install an edel intake and 570 holley on my 69 302 this weekend.... hope it all works when i'm done..... i think that i need a spring and pearch kit to complete the linkage for the kick down, any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frugelbinder -

It went pretty well for me. As far as clearance, I had to get the Edelbrock 1000 short foam air cleaner and it just barely touches the hood.

On hookup items, I didn't purchase the special bracket, so I ended up having to modify the existing throttle cable bracket to make the throttle work. I have a MIG welder so I cut the existing bracket and welded it so that it would work. I never did anything with the kick-down linkage, so at this point that is just disconnected. I didnt hook up all the EGR stuff so there are a couple lines that I just plugged for the time being and seems to be working fine. Definetly can feel the difference in the throttle reponse with the new stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah i was wondering if i could just rig what linkage and springs i've got. how many ponies do you think you picked up?? because i thought that my 302 was a bit slow... hopefully this will speed things up. also i noticed that the intake does not have a smooth inside... you'd think that is would be as smooth as the outside so that it didn't create turbulance. oh well. makes you wonder about holley tho... even cheap ass Ikea adds extra parts to the box!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts