Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 Mustang Sportsroof with a 302 and automatic overdrive transmission. Four years ago i replaced the points and condensor in the distributor with the Pertronix ignitor and the flame thrower coil. All has been well with the performance during these past four years with nothing changed except an ignition switch about two months ago and the C4 to AOD swap about two months ago. About a month ago i started having problems with the car just dying while driving it in town. It acts as if the electronics or fuel has just shut off. Sometimes it acts like it is running out of fuel and hesitates or bucks a few seconds before it dies. I can start the car again after just a few seconds but it runs rough, as if a plug wire was crossed. I've been fortunate that the last three times the car has pulled this trick on me, i've made it the last few miles home. I let it sit for an hour and it starts and runs just fine the rest of the week. This happens about once a week and it drives me nuts. I have checked all my wires to make sure they are secure. I changed out the fuel filter and last week i replaced the coil with an OEM one. I've checked the distributor cap and looked for loose wires in the distributor but all looks good. Since i replaced the coil, i've put 200 miles on the car with no problem at all. Yesterday, i drove it up town and stayed about 3 hours before coming home. After 5 minutes, i turned on the air conditioner and within two minutes it started hesitating and running rough. I shut off the air in anticipation of the car dying but it kept running and smoothed out. When i got closer to home, i turned on the air again but it continued to run well. As i recall, the air was on during most of the other malfunctions. I've said all this just to ask, how could turning the air on cause the car to just shut down or start to run poorly? Could the pertronix module be going bad and the extra current or load of the air being turned on overload the module? Is there a way to test it? Sorry for the long winded post but wanted to be thorough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hmm. I would try disconnecting the A/C unit in the engine compartment (at the pump itself) and run a jumper directly to the battery. Then run the car and see how it runs. Maybe the ignition switch is overheating and causing a short. How old is the pump? It may be going bad? Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.