Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished installing disc brakes all around my 69 coupe. I had a mechanic run the lines and set up the master/booster and valves (he pressure tested). However, when i drive the car the pedal is soft and it doesnt brake hard enough when i put my foot in it. i bled the brakes and it got about twice as firm and twice as fast on the braking but still nothing close to what it should be (the driving test was done at about 15mph around my neighborhood as they were new and i did not want to risk it on main roads). Could this just be that the caliper adjustment is off? Any suggestions on this issue would be a help especially if you have had this issue...thanks

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
sometimes its hard to get all the air out. recently had some issues with my anti-lock brakes, took me 3 times to get all the air out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i have the same problem. I have a 69 coupe as well, and i had disk brakes installed in the front only. I bled the breaks and everything, but nothing happened. I was told get a break booster, which i am going to do sometime this month. My mechanic suggested that, so do you have one? If not, thats probably the problem, if you do, then i dont know. Sorry!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi,

did you or the mechanic bench bleed the MC. If not i can post the destructions, i had the same problem until i did mine actually on the bench.

Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree with steve, the Master Cylinder should have been bench bleed, ask your mechaninc if he had this done, most likely if he didnt the master cylinder might be ruined. Another thing that would help is knowing if you have a brake booster. There is a main difference in manual brakes and brakes with a brake booster. I have disc brakes all around my 68 mustang, without a brake booster, still not as fast and strong in breaking as one with a brake booster, but very close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i have a booster thats why im suprised its not grabbing better. im pretty sure my mechanic bench bled the master but ill have to double check on that. could it be that the pad are new and need more breaking in? or maybe caliper adjustment...?

this is the kit i got if it helps...maybe someone is familiar with it: https://dfbrakes.com/proddetail.asp?prod=65%2Dupmustang%2Dfairlane4wheel

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ask the mechanic if he adjusted the M/C pushrod to spec in relation to the booster. Were the pads broken in after they were installed? The paperwork that came with the kit should have the procedure listed. Is the brake bias correctly adjusted between the front and rear brakes? Were the brake rotors spotlessly clean when they were installed? Is the M/C correct? The disc brake units have a large and small reservoir. The drum brake M/Cs have equal size for front and rear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did you change the brake pedal? The PB pedal has a different axis than the manual. If you did not change the pedal -- this could be part of your problem. The most difficult thing about the conversion is the pedal change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts