Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1969 mustang with a not so functional hood scoop. Obviously the main point of a hood scoop is to get a direct flow of air to the engine. With the actual legitimate "shaker" hood scoops I have seen they attach directly to the air cleaner...

Now mine has a hole in it and goes right to my edelbrock 6" or so air cleaner.. it is a couple inches down too, so it doesn't actually protrude up through the hole of the hood scoop. My thought is that it would get debris/water in the air filter, but would it create more horsepower if I used a spacer to lift it up? Therefore, Im thinking it would have a RAM air effect and more horsepower.

Couldn't really find too much information so I thought I would ask and see if anyone else had any ideas. Are there any other options I have to make it more functional and get a little more horsepower?

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
In should open into the outside area of the air filter assembly so the air is filtered, I would use some foam rubber to make a gasket to seal the air scoop to the air cleaner top, this is basically how they did it on the Ram-air types, I wouldn't raise it up, unless it is 1 or 2 inches below the hood, the engine moves too much, you need some clearance. I don't know how much ram effect you will get, since the air down by the hood is basically dead air, but you should get cooler outside air which is better. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Your 6" air cleaner seems kind of small and is probably more restrictive than it should be with a small block V8. The filter's surface area may need to be larger to help reduce some of the restriction. I used a formula, (Can't remember it right off, but it should be on K&N's web site), but it worked out to where my required filter is 14" X 3". This is for a K&N filter being used on a 302 engine.

I don't think that it's necessary to have the filter directly exposed to the incoming air from the scoop as long as there is a seal between the filter and the scoop itself.

I think that if you look at any of the factory functional ram air systems, you'll find that there's a provision for drainage of any rain that enters the scoop. A Google search should provide some diagrams for ideas on this. YouTube is also a good source for info on automotive mods. I was amazed at the amount of info that people have posted.

Having a ram air system isn't really going to produce that much pressurized air into the engine to gain HP, but the HP gain will be from the fact that you'll be introducing denser, cooler air into the engine.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Like Greek said, very little ram air affect from a hood scoop and propably not really adding much cool air. Might even work better with the scoop turned around backwards to act as a cowl hood to remove the engine heat, There is some company who does sell the ram air kits like what was on the W-30/W-31 Oldsmobiles, taking the air from under the bumper into a dual snorkel air cleaner.
Dave

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is no ram air effect from a hood scoop. It's mostly for looks. But there's no reason you can't make use of it with something like a K&N filter top.

Everything I ever read says the scoop was added to the stock hood at the factory, and Ford did not cut a hole in the hood for air flow. But I bought a '69 GT FB from the original owner. The hood had a big hole under the scoop, and the original owner swears he never cut the hole. The hole was perfectly round and smooth, like a machine cut. And the factory paint and primer was around the inside lip of the hole. I guess sometimes the books and experts are wrong.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I've never heard mention of this, but on the 67 and 68 models the optional hood directional signal cut outs appear to be a good way to rid the engine compartment of some excess heat. Their location being behind the radiator would seem to be a way of promoting air flow through the radiator and out from the cutouts. The radiator is exposed to high air pressure and the cutouts exposed to low pressure from the top side of the hood. A bit off topic, but just a thought. The mention of the scoop being in a low pressure position brought this to mind.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Everything I ever read says the scoop was added to the stock hood at the factory, and Ford did not cut a hole in the hood for air flow. But I bought a '69 GT FB from the original owner. The hood had a big hole under the scoop, and the original owner swears he never cut the hole. The hole was perfectly round and smooth, like a machine cut. And the factory paint and primer was around the inside lip of the hole. I guess sometimes the books and experts are wrong.
I thought the '69's had the shaker scoop while the '68' had the bolted on scoop. The similar Fairlanes came with two different cutouts (depending on time of manufactuing) from the factory when using the ram air. The orignal hood are getting hard to find so at the Fairlane site I'm at, shares the templates for the cut-outs.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.