Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a concours restore on 1969 Ford Mustang 428 CJ. Car has 4 wheel drum brakes. Would this car had come with painted or chrome wheels. Read somewhere that if it had 4 wheel drum the wheels were painted. Is this true??? When I purchased car it had aftermarket wheels so I dont know what to look for. Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't think brake options had any impact on original wheel style for the 69 Mach. As far as I know, the only original wheel installed on the 69 Mach was the chome styled-steel whell with non-GT lettered centers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
428 CJ with 4 drums? Are you sure its a Mach1? I though all mach1 had front disk.

·
Registered
895 Posts
You could order on any trim level (EX GT) Color Keyed Styled Steel Wheels in Body Color with blank center cap, or order the Argent Wheels as an option, but the Chrome Wheel was standard as part of the Mach 1 package.

Disc brakes were not standard like on 65-66 GT packaged cars, the 1969 GT package did not even come with standard disc brakes (69 was the last year for a GT package until the fox body cars)

The only mandiatory option on 428 CJ cars regarding the wheels and tires was the mandatory upgrade to the F70-14 Fiberglass-Belted tires.

I can't find anything in any of my books that says the drum cars got painted wheels. Do you have a marti report on the car?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
^ Yup, a deluxe Marti report should tell what rims the car had.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Since my 69 Mach 1 was built at the Dearborn plant, I was able to purchase the original factory invoice from Marti. Here's a copy listing all the included options for my pretty standard Mach 1.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts