Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Everyone.
There are many applications to choose from when converting to a rack and pinion kit. But which one is right for me?

I have a 1969 mustang coupe with a 302 v8 4 barrel carburetor high performance engine. Automatic transmission and power steering.

I love my car but steering at top speeds can be a little tricky and with constant correction to keep her steady on the road with gearbox and control valve.

I have reviewed several different brands from Steeroids, Randall, Flaming river and more.

Here is a good link that discusses several companies and options posted on Mustang monthly.

Ford Mustang Rack And Pinion - Mustang Steering - Mustang Monthly

I am in the market to changing my steering components to a Power rack and pinion. NPD has one that bolts directly to existing column and power steering pump without modifications. Several other brands need to swap out the column or modify by cutting the stock one down. Does anyone know what brand National Parts Depot is selling? When I call they say they can’t tell me. I’m kind of skeptical on that one.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
JasonK

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
From my reading I lean toward the Total Control or Flaming River units. They use a rack and pinion that they have designed for this purpose. Some others may do the same, but some use a retrofitted rack from another OE application. As for which system I'd prefer, I think that I would lean toward a rack that is specifically designed. There may be a down side to this, though. Part availability. A retrofitted OE rack may be cheaper to replace in the future.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The total control rack does look nice but does it bolt right into the stock column?

I don’t want to have to cut anything down to make it fit or have to change my stock column because my original steering wheel might not fit the new column they come with right? How about that Randall’s one?

And do you know of anyone that has installed one of theses power racks before?

I wish I knew who makes the NPD one. They say it bolts right in without modifications, but I would feel more comfortable Knowing who makes it so I can ask question if need be or if they are any good, I see no review on them. Total does look good.
Thanks
Jasonk

·
Registered
38 Posts
jason, what did you decide on? i know this is old thread but, i'm in the same situation, any thing you've learned would help

·
Registered
24 Posts
I purchasing a rack and pinion steering system from Randal's rack. Absolutely the best money I ever spent.

I cost me about $1,300 for the rack system back in 2009.

Now the car has absolutely zero play, really made the car a pleasure to dive.

The system was a one day installation. I started at 8 am and had it finished at 5 pm. Then I had to take it in for an alignment.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am partial to the Unisteer system and plan on putting one in soon as I can afford it. I have seen it for $1k(manual) It is a bolt in and as far as I know the only mod involved is the cutting of the steering shaft, same as any other kit. It takes into account bumpsteer which is something I have read the FR system doesn't. Anybody, feel free to chime in and tell me wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well y'all, I know this thread is nearly 6 yrs old, but the subject is new to me. The stearing box in my 67
no-power-anything 289 toploaded 4-speed is shot, and I'm tired of fighting the wheel in parking lots. So far, I've just decided to go to rack&pinion with a tilt column and somewhat smaller than stock steering wheel.
I'm probably going to upgrade to a 4-barrel and add power or manual disc brakes and AC at some point, also. Would a non-power R&P unit be much easier to park than the current manual box, or do I definitely need to go power?

I've seen ravings about Total Control, Randal's, & Unisteer Racks. Can anyone comment of the pros and cons between these, or are they all about the same? I understand that Flaming River had problems with their systems yrs ago, and they seem to be the most expensive of the bunch. Whose R&P/tilt column manual or power system is best for my 67 now days?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well y'all, I know this thread is nearly 6 yrs old, but the subject is new to me. The stearing box in my 67
......"
Have you ever driven a '67 with a properly restored stock steering box ? Or driven a new '67 Mustang ? If not you would be well advised to expereince how nicely a restored stock steering box can perform before spending much more money on a R&P system.

I drove these cars when they were new, and I have installed many R&P systems for my customers at their request . Likewise I've installed numerous restored Ford steering boxes. If you didn't know which steering system was just installed it would be impossible to tell based on how the car steered.

None of R&P systems will provide a better and more precise steering experience than the stock system is capable of providing. You have to take the advertising claims with a grain of salt. Comparing a worn out Ford box is not really a fair comparison. But nevertheless that's all most people are doing when they go to a R&P system.

Z

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I absolutely agree with Zray on this. Aside from having rather 'light' feel to the steering with the original power steering gear, it's tight, smooth, and responsive. At a dead stop, any manual steering setup, whether it's R&P or Worm and Sector is going to be a bit hard to turn.

One of the neatest setups I've seen is all original Mustang manual quick-steering (16:1 ratio) equipment, with a new electric power steering booster added into the column. You can even vary the boost based on speed, if you have some kind of sensor to tell it how fast the car's going. That way you can get full power assist when parking, and have less assistance while on the highway. He just had a knob to turn the steering effort up and down based on what he liked.

I didn't get to try it, but the owner and other people who have driven it say it's pretty sweet. In contrast, most people do a lot more swearing at their power R&P installs than swearing by them. :grin:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just replaced my factory PS unit with manual Unisteer R&P unit and other than when stopped, really like the feel. I decided to move away from a 50 year old system that will always have potential for leaking and maintenance and moved to the Unisteer. I would do it again. When stopped it obviously feels like manual steering when turning the wheel, when driving it's fine.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The main reason I converted my '66 to power steering was because it is really hard to turn the steering wheel on the old manual steering when parking, etc. Back when I was routinely driving it, I could always count on parking attendants complaining about the steering. I didn't mind it all that much back then, but did once I started routinely driving cars with power steering.

I went with Borgeson, this kit, although it was on sale at the time for $850:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-power-steering-conversion-kit-200-250-1965-1966/p/PSK10/

·
Registered
24 Posts
"electric power steering booster added into the column"
That sounds cool, as I have no problem with new or rebuilt manual steering except when parking. Do you happen to know what brand it was, and whether or not any other changes are required, e.g. alternator upgrade, etc. Also,would this work with a tilt steeing column?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply ZRay. In fact, I bought a new 68 convert in 68 and have had my current 67 convert since 72, both with manual steering. As you suggest, I never had a problem with either except in parking lots, although those days, along with much of my memory of the feel (LOL) are long gone. One of my other rides is a C6 corvette though, and I was assuming that the R&P upgrades might be somewhat closer to it. Sounds like either the mustang steering was top-notch in its day or that an upgrade would not produce the desired result. What are the trade-offs between standard steering box power steering and electric power assist?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Charles. Sound like you are happy with it. Would you say that the steering feel is heavy(stiff), medium, or light? Don't suppose that it is adjustable, is it? Do you ever drive a late model R&P, such that you can offer a comparrison. The ad says it is BETTER than R&P. Do you agree? Do I understand correctly that a replacement for the original steering box is included?

·
Registered
654 Posts
'…….. What are the trade-offs between standard steering box power steering and electric power assist?
the electric assist steering won't leak. But your steering box still has to be in good condition for it to be all you want it to be.

I don;'t have much experience with the electric assist system when used in a classic car. However, someone I trust who puts honesty above profit is liking them very much.

Z.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The Borgeson steering box replaces the old box. If I recall I got $75 from Borgeson for the old box. Steering is much easier than manual, but I've been working on a miriad of things on the car and haven't been able to drive it much since doing the steering. I personally feel that R&P will always be more precise than worm gear. I went with the Boregson because installation is much easier than R&P and a third of the cost of the R&P kits.

If I had to do it over again, I might consider the electric kit, even though it is $500 more than the Borgeson. I had a great deal of difficulty running the hoses for the Borgeson and ended up having to fab an adapter tube to get them to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts