Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 mustang 302 with C4 automatic, when I start it the starter turns the engine over fine and if the the engine does not start the starter will cut off immediately so i know the switch is not sticking but if the engine starts then the starter stays engaged, and will not disengage, I've gone through 2 starters and this one is brand new, i have spaced the starter so i know the starter can disengage just not when it starts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had the same problem with my 65 not too long ago. It sounds, my friend, like you have a bad solenoid and you had better get it out of their before it burns out your starter and your ignition switch.
Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think that it is the solenoid, because if i cycle the engine with out the ignition the starter will stop immediately when i let go of the key, but if the engine starts it almost gets stuck, like the gear doesn't retract back?

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm not altogether clear what your test procedure was, but it sounds like one of two things - starter solenoid or the ignition switch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
And 9 times out of 10, if the solenoid goes bad it eventually fries the switch and the starter. But if you don't want to spend 9 bucks for a solenoid, even if it turns out that it's not the switch (I'll put my money on it) you've narrowed the field down for less than a 10 spot.
Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
77 Posts
If the starter doesn't retract, it's because of the solenoid. The solenoid is still energizing the bendix arm and keeping it engaged because there is a short in it regardless of ignition position.
Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im sorry im seeming difficult, i know the solenoid is cutting off enough that the starter quits spinning but if the solenoid still gives the starter a little voltage it will stay out but not spin?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I surrender, I can't give you any more than what I have!
Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just trying to see if i understood what you were saying, i honestly really do appreciate all your help, im just verifying what i though you are trying to say, so the arm could be energized so it is out but it is not spining?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, it's still engaged!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Try this to clear your concerns about the solenoid.
Take a 20" piece of wire and strip both ends off about 1/4"
Locate your starter solenoid and REMOVE the small push on terminal lead to the small stud CLOSEST to the battery. Turn on your ignition switch to RUN. Go under the hood and now taking the piece of wire touch one side to the POS+ battery terminal, and then touch the other end to that small bare stud on the solenoid.
Caution!!!!! it will spark and the starter will engage to start the car and as soon as the engine starts remove the jumper wire. Watchout for engine pullys and fanbelts, keeep your hands clear!If the starter remains engaged take a wranch that you will have handy and smack the solenoid - it should stop - verdict? bad splenoid. Caution: your symptoms will also happen with solenoids which are LOOSE and not properly grounded. Ground it right and dont strip out any bolts. If it does not remain engaged your igniton switch is more than likely the problem

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had this problem with my 68 when I put a new starter on it. The starter gear wouldn't retract so I loosened the starter a little and started the car, it worked fine so I used a couple washers to shim the starter out a little bit and I had to trouble with it after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.