Ford Mustang Forum banner

1969 Mustang Starting in Drive

632 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RagHead 
#1 ·
I have a 69 Mustang that has a 289 and I believe a C4 automatic tranny, not sure how to tell the difference. It has a B & M Pro Bandit shifter in there.

The car Starts in Park, Neutral and Drive (not good) and the back up lights don't work.

The shifter has 4 wires coming out of it. As far as I can tell, one wire is live, not sure what the others all do. When I remove all these wires, the car doesn't start.

Where is the neutral saftety switch? On the driver's side tranny? Does this have to be hooked up? Does the shifter have a neutral safety switch also? Does something have to be bypassed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and pictures always help.

Thanks Wayne

#3 ·
As Explorer said the NSS safety switch is working as it should except for the fact that the car starts in drive :nono:. Which NSS do you have hooked up, the one built into the shifter or the one on the trans. or both, or the cable maybe out of adjustment. I would get a original type shifter and linkage, problem solved :bigthumbsup.

#4 ·
Thanks guys, problem solved. I talked to my local mechanic and called B & M direct and got him to email me the directions for putting in the shifter. Mechanic (he was only guessing) said at tranny and the B & M guy and directions told me at shifter.

The safety switch was already disconnected at tranny(removed) and has to be to hooked up at the shifter. The shifter has four wires going to it and doesn't matter where you have them. The key is loosening the two small screws holding the switch in and slightly adjust it from there. Did that several times until I got it just right, always moved when I put it back together, so you need a little patience. Now works fine, only starts in Park and Neutral.

Cheers Wayne

#5 ·
Glad you have the problem solved. Starting in drive was a accident waiting to happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.