Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my nephew's 1969 mustang grande v8,this car is all stock, had a leak on the gas line under the driver's door, i bought him a factory replacement for x-mas, he brought it to high school and his teacher at the time , help him replace the fuel line, after they replaced it , the car has no been able to start ever since, im thinking its the fuel pump, but not really sure, they did replace a fuel filter, any help will be greatly appreciated. good day.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A couple of things could be at play here. First, did the nephew or the teacher verify the line was cleared prior to installing it? Chances are, no.

The fuel filter could well be clogged and the fuel pump could be bad but if these weren't touched then the likelihood of them being the issue is diminished. I would start with the fuel line that was replaced and ensure it isn't clogged or some debris didn't get pushed back to the mating points when the old one was removed.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello spacoli,
This is a classic case of needing to do some tests to determine what is
going on. Sometime there may be more than one issue that arises.

So to begin I would do the following tests

1. - Pull a spark plug wire from any plug. Pull the "boot" back on the wire.
The boot is the rubber part that attaches to the plug. You want to expose
the end metal part of the plug wire.
Hold the plug wire about 1/5 inch from the exhaust manifold and have someone
crank the motor. You should see a spark jump from the wire to the manifold

2. - Remove the air cleaner and look down inside the "throat" of the carb.
Pump the linkage that controls the gas pedal a few times to see if there is fuel going into the carb. You should see it or smell it

3. - Spay about 5 seconds of starter fluid in to the carb. Put air cleaner back on and try to start it. Something should happen. The car should attempt to run if only for about 3 seconds

IF STILL NO START - -continue testing.

The next test - -
4. - Loate the fuel pump. It is locatded on the driver front side of the motor. (To the right of the water pymp. There will be 2 lines at the fuel pump. One is running up to the carb (outlet of pump). The other is the inlet which comes from the tank. You will see it come out fo the driver side inner fender.

Remove the inlet line and and with a hand siphon see if you can suck gas from the inlet line.

If you can't - -then there is an issue between the gas tank and the fuel pump.

If you do get gas to that point - - -contine testing

5. - The next test requires you to re-attach the inlet line and remove the coil wire.
The coil wire is loated in the center of the top of the distribuotr cap. It looks like a spark plug wiare. Remove the coil wire. Then follow the fuel line up to the carb.
Where that line attaches to the carb remove the line. If there is a filter attached to the carb - remove the line at the filter.
Take a plastic bottle (soda) and place the hose into the bottle .
Crank the motor for about 25 seconds. You should get several ounces of fuel in the bottle. If no fuel - - then the pump is bad.

If the gas is going to the carb - you should be able to start.

I have given you some ideas of how to begin chasing this down.

Keep in mind - -to start the motor - -you need
A Fuel
B. - Compression
C. - A properly timed spark.

My thinking is that there something other than fuel at issue here.
I have a gut feeling you have a "spark" issue tha just happened to start right after the fuel line was replaced.l

There are a number of other tests that can be done and there are other issues.

I would have them try these tests and let us know - -what the results are.

I am assuming the car is cranking over well.

This is just a beginning - -this will run let us know

Print Dad

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you have installed a new in line filter you might want to check the direction of the fuel flow.it's not hard to put it in backwards.just an idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i will try some or possibly all those tests, hopefully the car starts i will keep u informed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi, so we used a siphon hand pump on the fuel line coming from gas tank, we open the gas cap and siphoned gas about a cup of gas, reconnected the fuel line put some gas in the carb and tried starting the car. we did this 3 times then the car started finally, i think there was an air bubble in the fuel line, so the car is running now. another problem arose while the car was running , gas was leaking from a factory hole on the fuel pump, so i used a Qtip yo see if there was threads in the hole but the hole is all the way thru to the other side. is this normal on a fuel pump for a carbed motor?, im assuming it is normal and the seal on the fuel pump let go (broke). Assuming the fuel pump is bad, is the replacing with a new fuel pump just an unbolt and bolt project or is there more to it. what part # should i use to get a replacement fuel pump. it is a 1969 mustang Grande with a 302 all factory engine components, thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated...............jim:)
Hello spacoli,
This is a classic case of needing to do some tests to determine what is
going on. Sometime there may be more than one issue that arises.

So to begin I would do the following tests

1. - Pull a spark plug wire from any plug. Pull the "boot" back on the wire.
The boot is the rubber part that attaches to the plug. You want to expose
the end metal part of the plug wire.
Hold the plug wire about 1/5 inch from the exhaust manifold and have someone
crank the motor. You should see a spark jump from the wire to the manifold

2. - Remove the air cleaner and look down inside the "throat" of the carb.
Pump the linkage that controls the gas pedal a few times to see if there is fuel going into the carb. You should see it or smell it

3. - Spay about 5 seconds of starter fluid in to the carb. Put air cleaner back on and try to start it. Something should happen. The car should attempt to run if only for about 3 seconds

IF STILL NO START - -continue testing.

The next test - -
4. - Loate the fuel pump. It is locatded on the driver front side of the motor. (To the right of the water pymp. There will be 2 lines at the fuel pump. One is running up to the carb (outlet of pump). The other is the inlet which comes from the tank. You will see it come out fo the driver side inner fender.

Remove the inlet line and and with a hand siphon see if you can suck gas from the inlet line.

If you can't - -then there is an issue between the gas tank and the fuel pump.

If you do get gas to that point - - -contine testing

5. - The next test requires you to re-attach the inlet line and remove the coil wire.
The coil wire is loated in the center of the top of the distribuotr cap. It looks like a spark plug wiare. Remove the coil wire. Then follow the fuel line up to the carb.
Where that line attaches to the carb remove the line. If there is a filter attached to the carb - remove the line at the filter.
Take a plastic bottle (soda) and place the hose into the bottle .
Crank the motor for about 25 seconds. You should get several ounces of fuel in the bottle. If no fuel - - then the pump is bad.

If the gas is going to the carb - you should be able to start.

I have given you some ideas of how to begin chasing this down.

Keep in mind - -to start the motor - -you need
A Fuel
B. - Compression
C. - A properly timed spark.

My thinking is that there something other than fuel at issue here.
I have a gut feeling you have a "spark" issue tha just happened to start right after the fuel line was replaced.l

There are a number of other tests that can be done and there are other issues.

I would have them try these tests and let us know - -what the results are.

I am assuming the car is cranking over well.

This is just a beginning - -this will run let us know

Print Dad

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The fuel pump is bad and needs to be replaced, you should be able to get one at your local auto parts, unless you are doing a concour restoration, since the old pump was leaking, it can leak gas into the crankcase diluting and contaminating the oil, so pull the dip stick if it smells like gas you need to change the oil and oil filter (after you replace the fuel pump) and do not drive it until these are checked out and or done. When replacing the fuel pump, I remove the fuel lines, plug the one from the tank, loosen the bolts all most all the way on the fuel pump, and use a big socket (15/16" on the crankshaft bolt and turn the engine over until the fuel pump has the least amount of pressure pushing it out, this is the minimum position on the eccentric driving the fuel pump, then finish removing the old fuel pump, clean the old gasket off the block, take the new gasket and use a gasket sealer to stick it to the new fuel pump Do not apply sealer to the side that goes to the block instead use some heavy grease like wheel bearing or chassis grease with your finger, then put some lithium (white) grease on the movable arm of the pump where it rides the eccentric. Then install the new pump torque the bolts to specs or good and snug, attach the fuel lines, change the oil and oil filter if the oil had gas in it, then start the engine it may die a few times if you have to you can prime the engine with a little gas if it won't stay running, then check it for leaks around the fittings of the fuel pump, if no leaks you should be good to go. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts