Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
I have another painting question for you all. I am trying to figure out what is the correct way to detail the Fender aprons (side that faces the outer front fender) I have seen two restoration pages and both did it differently. The first was all black... see below

http://home.together.net/~groovygreen2/page10/painted_unmasked.jpg

and the second was primer red with some undercoating. Mustangs By Mike :: 1969 Mach 1, Candy Apple Red :: P1005606

I have body books from Jim Osborn that show Ford diagrams with this area shot with all undercoating (black) . So which one is it??? I need help and quick. Thank you
:wavey :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
It could be either. If you want it "right" you'd have to do what was done on your particular car. It depends on the factory and the actual person who painted your car. Some cars were completely painted black while others the person left the primer showing.

If you don't know what yours was then just finish it the way you want it. With the car being completely redone and the original evidence gone then no one would ever know, even a concourse judge, how the car was originally.

Same goes for the sound deadening (undercoating) as some cars had more applied than another similar car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay H 237
Thanks again!
I have looked more on line and have seen them both ways. I was undecided on how to go. Since the car went to media blast there is no evidence however my photos prior to disassembly show black (of course that could be 40 years of road grime). I think black will look the best.
have a great day. :wavey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.