Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, after studying the wiring diagrams for a 69 V8 model for some time I seem to have ended at a question to which I need help from someone more car-wiring-knowledgable than me :D

As I read the diagram, the Seatbelt Warning Light is wired from the Accessories port of the ignition switch (providing 12V), through a fuse, then through the light itself, then through the switch, and then ending up at the constant voltage regulator terminal on the back of the cluster.

But isn't this terminal the 12V input to the CVR, meaning it also has 12V on it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
From what I can find out, the warning light is really a reminder light that works with a timer in a relay. You may be thinking the relay is the ICVR because they look similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Driveway,

Thanks for your answer.

I am only looking at the diagram though, and trying to understand how it's all connected :)

And I just can figure out that seatbelt warning light.. dissapointed.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am in the process of rewiring my 69 Vert using an EZ Wiring 21-circuit, 18-fuse harness. The seatbelt warning light on the original harness was powered from the accessory terminal on the fusebox (20 amp). I connected it to the new harness at the ignition switch radio wire. (non constant power). When I turn the ignition switch on, I have power to the seat belt light bulb socket. I'm thinking it is on a time delay but I haven't timed it yet to see if it will go off. It should be, otherwise it will stay on continually. I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Maybe the drawing for the 1968 cars will be easier to understand. The timer is at the lower left. I added some highlighting to show the path. The pink is only to show where the power is coming from. Closer to the light some other lights tap into this wire for their power.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Green/white stripe wire (from the bulb socket) hooks to P terminal. The power from the accessory on the fuse box (20amp switched) also hoods to the P terminal. The green and purple wire (from the bulb socket) hooks to the L terminal. When the coiled wire heats up inside it bends the metal post away from the other and opens the circuit, turning off the bulb. After 45+ years of heating/cooling, it's understandable that this relay will go out. Plus, it seems to me that this will be a safety hazard. I found curioustech.net. Greg makes digital timers. The TMR-1-6A-30V works for this application. After I turn the ignition on, the light will go out after 10 seconds. You have to specify the time delay you want when ordering and the cost is $13 + mailing.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driveway,

Thank you, that did it for me! :)

So to sum up: on the wiring diagram for the '69 the warning switch can easily be mistaken for just a switch, when in fact it is a bimetallic timer.

The 12V from the voltage regulator will heat up the timer, and the other connection is the ground for the bulb, which will be broken once the switch has been warmed up.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts