Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some opinions and comments from the crowd. I have the chance to pick up a 1970 Fastback for $800 bucks, but it needs a lot of work. Sheet metal, grill, lights, hood, deck lid, complete trunk, and major engine rebuild.

I could not find a tag with the info to tell me type, engine, etc. The engine is missing heads, intake, etc....basically the block is there and pistons. I'm wondering if the engine was something decent because the heads and intake are gone. Has an automatic that will need to be looked at once the car is underway, to see if it needs work as well.

Needs a complete interior as well. Dash and instruments are intact.

BUT is this Fastback worth the effort and money it will need to get it to something restectable ? Everyone tells me that the fastbacks are getting harder and harder to find.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
A vintage fastback is HIGHLY desireable. You can find the VIN tag in many places on the car-the driver door, the dash pad (by the inspection sticker), radiator support, fenders, and othe rspots too. post some pics if you have'em.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
The 5th digit of the VIN is the code for what motor it originally came with. Although by now 40 years later there's a chance the motor isn't original to the car.

The 3rd and 4th digits are what the car is, 02 standard fastback, 05 Mach 1.

For $800 it's a buy, these cars have shot up in price dramatically the last several years. It's worth more than that in parts alone! If you can't or aren't willing to do all or most of the work the car needs yourself it will get expensive fast though fixing this car.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Dude, that's a 1966 hardtop, not a 1970 fastback. And unless that 66 has a rocking engine in it, it's not woth more than the $200 in scrap metal. Look for another car.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one set of pics IS a '66 hardtop, cause that's the one I already have, the other pics are of the '70 fastback

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hey. I could not find any pics of the 70, only the 66.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I saw it, kinda hard to see with all the brush around it though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm looking for some opinions and comments from the crowd. I have the chance to pick up a 1970 Fastback for $800 bucks, but it needs a lot of work. Sheet metal, grill, lights, hood, deck lid, complete trunk, and major engine rebuild.

I could not find a tag with the info to tell me type, engine, etc. The engine is missing heads, intake, etc....basically the block is there and pistons. I'm wondering if the engine was something decent because the heads and intake are gone. Has an automatic that will need to be looked at once the car is underway, to see if it needs work as well.

Needs a complete interior as well. Dash and instruments are intact.

BUT is this Fastback worth the effort and money it will need to get it to something restectable ? Everyone tells me that the fastbacks are getting harder and harder to find.
The true fastbacks that are worth money are from 66 on up, mainly the real ones like the 67/68 are the truely hard to find,very desirable fastbacks.The Sportsroof like you have...........fall right behind them in value.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, got the VIN now and this is what it is:

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

0 Year 1970
F Assembly Dearborn, Michigan
05 Body Mach 1
H Engine V8 351 CID 2V

The 351 block is in there still as well as the tranny, but the heads, intake and cam cover are gone, so I'm assuming that the 351 is not at 351W because those are all over the place.

I hope to have more with loads of photos up here soon. I also have the opportunity to pick up one or two 1973 Mach I's if this guy will give them up. He's crushing everything to clear out the land :happyhapp so I'm trying to get some projects lined up through him before they go bye bye.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.