Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1970 grabber blue mach1 and iv been having this problem for a while now. It will start just fine but when the engine warms up it will just die, it wont sputter at all, just stops. It'll do this to me while going down the road as well. After it dies it always starts right back up just fine but anywhere from 1/2 mile to a mile down the road it will die again. I already replaced my fuel filter, fuel pump, and my coil, thinking that those things individually could solve my problem. But I was wrong. I still feel like the coil could be the answer to my problem and maybe I just got a bad part. Anyway I was wondering if anybody out there had any clue as to what is going on and if anybody can help please let me know... Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
the fan electric? If so, does the engine die when the fan turns on... Other thot is the stopping consistant? If it is a carb, the bowl may empty of gas be cause of a blockage at the inlet.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No the fan isnt electric. Other than the upgraded ignition my engine is 100% factory. it has 75,000 original miles and has never been out of the car... Yeah stopping is fine, and iv gone through the carb and things seem to be fine. there is one wire to my coil that appears to be a little roughed up, you think that one little wire could be shorting my hole system?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just a couple thoughts, possibilities. Ignition condensors can play all kinds of games when they fail. I was reminded of this in surprising fashion a couple of weeks ago during an encounter with an old Ford tractor at work. Also, anything that could ground out the primary circuit from the coil to the points in the distributor would kill the ignition. A loss of ground to the breaker plate could be an issue as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My distributor doesnt have points. I have a Mallory electronic ignition unit. I have had the car for 5 years and this problem started about a year ago. I'll try and replace the wires going to my coil.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 69 302. I replaced the points set up with a Pertronix ignitor. It has been running excellent until recently. I replaced my coil and fuel filter. But it has done it since then. I suspect something is wrong with the Pertronix system after it gets warm. Let us know if you discover that the Mallory system went bad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
69moneypit - I just finished dealing with an ignition issue on my '68 coupe that has a Pertronix ignitor and MSD 6AL box.

If you purchased your ignitor within 30 months and still have the receipt, you might still be covered under their warranty. You can give the Pertronix tech line a call and they will walk you through the troubleshooting process.

Do you have an ignitor I or II module? Take a look under your distributor cap and verify that the ground from the distributor plate to the distributor housing is in good condition. Make sure your air gap between the module and magentic ring is still set properly. Recheck the height of the module in relation to the magentic ring.

A Pertronix tech can walk you through bench testing your module, but basically, you'll need a voltage meter, battery, and jump wire.

I hope this helps.

grabberbluemach - I have a Mallory Unilite in another '68 Mustang. The ignition module has been there nearly 20 years and 20,000 miles without a hitch.

Based on what you described, I would have suspected the coil. Since you already replaced it, I'm now leaning towards a problem with the Mallory Unilite unit. Maybe a call to Mallory could provide you with some useful troubleshooting advice.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thx for replying... Im still not going to rule out the coil as the culprit in this situation. It might be a bad part, because this will not be the first time I have bought a bad part from autozone lol. As soon as I get a chance I will test the "new" coil and make sure its still good and if it tests good then I will proceed to test my mallory unit.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey, no problem.:yup:
I Don't blame you for double checking the coil....we ended swapping my coil with one my friend had laying around and the problem remained, so we put mine back ...long story short, we switched the coil again as a last ditch effort to figure out my ignition problem and we discovered my coil was faulty.

I don't remember if the Mallory Unilite requires a different coil other than stock. Are you using stock replacement coils? Any other ignition items like an MSD box in your car?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am using Stock replacement coils for my 351c. As far as the ignition box goes its just an Autolite box. The only mallory parts are the distributor and the spark plug wires. Iv had this car for 5 years and the previous owner had it for 2 years all this time its been running fine with this same equipment setup. Im just trying to figure out which one of these items has gone bad. I took apart my distributor and it looks clean and fine, same with my ignition box. So if the coil tests good then the first thing im gunna do is replace my wires going to my coil ( they look a little a rough )...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My guess is you're going to find that your coil is fine and the Mallory unit is at fault. I had the same problem with a Petronix unit. The car would just stop running. It would refire again, usually with no problem. Those units go bad from time to time. They get hot and stop working. I replaced the unit and haven't had a problem since. My $.02 :winks

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks, So your saying that my Mallory distributor is getting hot and failing or my Autolite ignition box is getting hot...?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My distributor doesnt have points. I have a Mallory electronic ignition unit. I have had the car for 5 years and this problem started about a year ago. I'll try and replace the wires going to my coil.
I'm confused. Where is your Mallory ignition unit mounted? Is it inside your Mallory distributor?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a mallory distributer but my ignition box has a blue ford Autolite cover on it. So unless somebody switched covers on the box the only mallory thing on my car is the distributor itself.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
My guess is you're going to find that your coil is fine and the Mallory unit is at fault. I had the same problem with a Petronix unit. The car would just stop running. It would refire again, usually with no problem. Those units go bad from time to time. They get hot and stop working. I replaced the unit and haven't had a problem since. My $.02 :winks

I like all the answers..... my .02 is check the mallory wire FROM the distributor. I had exactly the same problems. the plug from the dist., was loose at the plug. Start it up and walk through every wire. Mine shut off as if I was using a key I fixed the plug...no problems. I use Accel dist and coil, wires..... check that coil, too. A brand NEW ACCEL super coil was worthless upon install. Take it back!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YES. That is exactly what its doing. It shuts off like someone is turning the key off. BUT if its just a wire or plug problem then why does it only happen when the engine gets warm? It will run for a good 20-25 min before dying... I will still check all my wires. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Your igniton box is going bad. I had the exact same problem with the old autolite box, it feels like you are going down the road and some one takes the key out and throws it out the window - just dead. Mine would occasionally backfire as well through the exhaust as this happened while driving. Get rid of all of that stuff and buy a stand alone MSD dist. and new coil and this will go away. Smething else to consider is the igniton switch itself, they get old and cooked, look at the pigtail for the switch and all connectors at base of the steering column.
good luck
joe

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, thanks. I took my car out today and I let it run in the driveway for about an hour and a half before driving it just to see how many times it would die, it died about every 10 min after the engine got warm and then it ran for about 25 min towards the end w/o dying. After that I took it down the road ( about 2 miles till it turns to gravel and gravel is a no no ) it made it fine one way but as soon as I turned around to come home it did it again. BUT this time it didnt "die" my throttle just stopped. I floored it and right when it reached its shifting point the throttle just got killed, the car didnt die, I just let off the accelerator for a couple seconds and my throttle returned. It did this about 2 more times b4 reaching my house and it backfired too... Did your car do this too or did it just die like the key thing? This is the first time my actually didnt die, it usually does exactly like you're describing. I will be sure to check the ignition switch like you said too. Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
sometimes it would die and sometimes it did what you are describing - power just cut to nothing and a second or two came back. Trust me man I would not say this if I was not positive - that autolite box is going out - get rid of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a problem like that as well. The rubber hose between the tank sending unit and hard line was collapsing shutting off the fuel flow to the carb.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.