Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going everyone, I have been going to the parts stores a lot lately and been getting the wrong parts for my Stang. Its a 1970 Coupe with the original engine and drivetrain, 302, 2 barrel Autolite, c4. It does have electronic ignition. I have been running into this spark plug problem. The plugs Napa, and every other store says to use are 18mm thread plugs Autolite 45's. Well they don't fit and the plugs in the engine are 25's. Now this doesn't make any sense to me, unless it has 351 heads on it? I hate to say it but I am not all that familiar with the Ford small block:doh:. Could someone please fill me in?

Thanks for your time!

Kyle

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It should use the 18mm plugs if it has the stock heads. 351 Cleveland (not Windsor) heads use 14mm. I have never heard of any Mustang heads that use 15mm, unless they are aftermarket.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Take some pictures of your engine and post them on here, you may need to remove the valve covers and look for casting no and or engineering no, so that we can help identify the heads, are you sure you have a 302 and not a 351CL 2b. Newer 302's use the smaller dia plugs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well heres a couple pictures. Thanks for the quick responses guys. They are 14mm threads, what I have begun to think is the engine was rebuilt 7,000 miles ago. I have put 5,000 on her. Maybe they are aftermarket or later style 302 heads? If I get the chance this week I will take the covers off and give you guys the codes on them. Thanks for your help so far:)

Kyle

Attachments

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
cindys sn95 is right, at some point you will need to get the casting numbers and or engineering numbers off the block and heads, as there are some internal differences. The dist is newer too, looking at the numbers on it might give you a clue to the year. Just guessing I'd say its a mid to late 70's block, but that's just a guess. The block numbers are behind the starter. Good Luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can deal with both of those, either a later block or newer heads and distributor. :)

Thanks for the help,

Kyle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts