Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 mustang i just bought as a restoration project.

The AC in the car does not work and i can't figure out why. we think maybe something is clogged or something like that, but we can't figure it out. if anyone knows anything i can try, i need any help i can get. thanks

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) What exactly is it that the car is doing? Does nothing happen at all when you turn the fan on, or, the fan comes on but doesn't blow cold, it sounds like the fan is coming on, but, no air is coming out of the vents, etc...? :)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
When you turn on your AC, you should hear the clutch engage on the compressor, and you should see it spinning under the hood, if there is freon 12 in the system, the discharge side of the compressor going to the condensing coils by the radiator should be getting warm then to hot, the inlet side to the compressor should start to feeling cool, if there is no freon in the system, you will not feel any difference in the lines, which is usually the case, because the 'rubber' o-rings shrink and get hard and don't seal, usually about 10 years to 15 years roughly, if you had enough freon in the system and the compressor was working properly then any restriction in the high pressure side from the condensing coils to the orifice would be freezing up or frosty, past the orifice it should be getting cold to the evaporator coils in the car normally. A set of AC gauges is required to measure the low side and the high side pressures, and this helps to diagnose the system. If yours is like a factory system, it should have a york compressor, they are highly reliable but they can wear out and the front seal starts leaking. This should help diagnose it a little, post your results.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea when we turn the car on, nothing comes out of the vents. does this AC use the old freon or a-134?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) That's going to be a blower motor problem of some sort. It could be that the switch in the dash has failed, or, the blower motor itself has gone bad, or the wiring to it has issues, possibly the ground wire for the blower, but, that isn't really an A/C specific problem, since the heater isn't going to work, either. :nogrinner As far as the refrigerant goes, it isn't possible to say with any certainty without seeing the hook-ups, but, if it's a rotary compressor, it's probably 134, and, if it's the priginal York or Tecumsah compressor, it's going to be R-12, more than likely. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts