Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my dry storage garage and now have to keep my mustang in my damp and sometimes wet garage. Anyone have any hints on ways to keep the rust and small creatures out of my car?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
put a dehumidifier in your garage.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Live traps for mice work well if you check them frequently. In the warmer months, I use 5 gallon buckets and pour about 1/4" of used fry oil in, this intices the vermin in, but they get all slickery and can't jump out. Not a good idea to put the bucket in your car, it'll smell the interior up like old french fries. They do need a way to get to the top of the bucket however. Set it next to a low shelf or stack of stuff. Poison works pretty good to until one dies in the car and reeks it up. Usually they eat the poison, get thirsty and leave for a drink to never return, But...

I keep my cars covered with old (soft) blankets sewn together to make one big blanket then cover the blanket with a sheet of plastic. Just enough to come down to the sides. I roll the windows down about 6 inches to let it breath. It can still mold up, but not near as bad if it where closed up tight. The plastic keeps any moisture from dripping on the car and keeps the dust out of the open windows, it will also deter cats from lounging on it.

If the concrete sweats or water washes over it, I have heard of people parking the car on a sheet of plastic to keep the moisture from wafting upwards and rusting the under carriage, even jacking it up on jack stands will help and using a fan to keep the moisture moving.

These are the best I've been able to do, but they lack quite a bit. The ideal option is to store in a cool dry place, but you already know that.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I would recommend picking up a carcapsule: CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover

They are ideal for maintaining ideal storage conditions in less-than ideal facilities.

By looking at the prices, they aren't too expensive, either.

I hope this helps, good luck!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you want to go the cheap route to help with the dampness you could try DampRid....it will at least help to keep the humidity at a lower level....

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Mine i keep a gun safe dehumidifier inside the car it seems to work no musty smells after it sits in the garage all winter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but I heard that if you put a couple of bars of Irish Spring soap in open plastic containers inside the car, mice will stay out because they don't like the smell. Plus it will keep your car smelling good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts