Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the two screws on the cap of the power steering valve of my 1970 Mustang Coupe and I got one screw out after a lot of bustling with a impact driver and patients, but I can not get the other screw out to remove the cover off to get access to the adjustment bolt to remove the power steering valve. Does anyone have any suggestions that might allow me to get the power steering valve off?

·
Registered
657 Posts
What happens, is the Aluminum cap oxidizes around the steel bolt causing it to lockup.

Sometimes you can use a pair of vice grips. Lock them tighly on the head of the bolt. Using penetrating oil, slightly wiggle the bolt head. WIGGLE Back and forth till it starts to free to inside the cap.

If that doesn't work, then heat the cap, being carefull to not melt it, then use vice grip to break loose.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will give it a shot and post back here telling you how it came out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got it off! We just drilled out the screw holding on the cap and went from there. There was only one bit** of a screw, the other one came out with some convincing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts