Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a 1970 mustang drum spindle with 1970 or '71-73 disc brakes? I have a 1970 mustang coupe I'm building into a stock car and I'm limited to a 15" wheel and have to stay with production type brakes. (plus I don't have the money to buy some $500+ aftermarket kit.) I know the 70, 71-73 spindles have the larger diameter bearing, so I was thinking the disc rotor would fit, but didn't know if the caliper and bracket would bolt up. Basically, I'm wanting to do something similar to the race brake set up in the Boss 302 Chassis modification book, only as cheap as possible. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can you use a 1970 mustang drum spindle with 1970 or '71-73 disc brakes? I have a 1970 mustang coupe I'm building into a stock car and I'm limited to a 15" wheel and have to stay with production type brakes. (plus I don't have the money to buy some $500+ aftermarket kit.) I know the 70, 71-73 spindles have the larger diameter bearing, so I was thinking the disc rotor would fit, but didn't know if the caliper and bracket would bolt up. Basically, I'm wanting to do something similar to the race brake set up in the Boss 302 Chassis modification book, only as cheap as possible. Thanks for any info.
No, the 70 drum spindle is different than the disc type spindle. the drum and disc parts are not interchangeable. 65-67 KH type disc brakes will mount onto 70 drum spindles if 70 type bearing races and bearings are used.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the 65-67 used the smaller diameter spindle which would mean that the hub in the rotor would have the smaller size bearing and wouldn't fit on the later big bearing spindle? How would the 65-67 rotor bolt onto the larger spindle?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do both bearings have the same OD while having different ID's?

·
Registered
657 Posts
What the young man did not explain, you use the same rotor as the 65 66 67 Mustang.

The Races are changed in the rotor to match the bearings. When this is done, the Early rotors/4 Piston K/H Disc Brakes will indeed fit the 70-73 Mustang Big Bearing DRUM BRAKE spindles.

Experience--Experience, is the key to knowledge.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking the bearings have the same OD in the rotor, so all you need to do is change the bearing & race out to the larger size. Just out of curiousity how did the 68-73 rotor change so it couldn't be used on drum spindles. Also, where can you locate a bracket to bolt the K/H calipers on the drum spindle and is there any place you can get a K/H caliper that won't cost $120+ apiece? That seems a little pricey for an old production caliper especially with all the stuff on the aftermarket. Thanks for the good responses. (I'm trying to do front disc brakes for around $300 if that's possible.)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Okay, that's kind of what I was thinking the bearings have the same OD in the rotor, so all you need to do is change the bearing & race out to the larger size. Just out of curiousity how did the 68-73 rotor change so it couldn't be used on drum spindles. Also, where can you locate a bracket to bolt the K/H calipers on the drum spindle and is there any place you can get a K/H caliper that won't cost $120+ apiece? That seems a little pricey for an old production caliper especially with all the stuff on the aftermarket. Thanks for the good responses. (I'm trying to do front disc brakes for around $300 if that's possible.)
The Rotor diameter of all 65-73 is the same, 11 19/64". The reason the 68-73 rotors won't fit the early 65-67 system is the thickness of the rotor.

The Full/new thickness of the 65 66 67 rotor is .850, the 68-73 .950, the 68-73 will not fit in the 4 piston caliper with pads installed.

There are cheaper versions on the system being sold everyday, Argentina pieces that are inferior low quality products.

You are dealing with brakes so it is very logical to deduct, a few extra dollars to acquire quality name brand parts is a must--Cheap parts equal cheap products, been this way for every will never change.

Dan @ Chockostang
chockostangclassicmustang.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are cheaper versions on the system being sold everyday, Argentina pieces that are inferior low quality products.

You are dealing with brakes so it is very logical to deduct, a few extra dollars to acquire quality name brand parts is a must--Cheap parts equal cheap products, been this way for every will never change.

I understand what you're saying, but you cain't get blood from a turnup. If I was doing a build for a street car I could get the pbr calipers that are used on the svt cobras for $250, which would be the same price as a $125 1965 K/H caliper, while having a better & lighter caliper. (and a 13" rotor if you used the rest of the cobra brakes for the same price as the rest of the 1965 brakes)

I just don't think there are any great deals on the K/H calipers. (good caliper for it's day, not trying to say it isn't, but I think it's over priced)

You could buy a pair of reman '68+ calipers for $50! I realize the caliper isn't quite as good as the K/H, but that's a significant savings if you don't have to the 4 piston caliper. Since I already have the '70 drum spindles and I'm limited by rules to a
15" wheel and production type brakes I was just wanting to see what my options were.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.