Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the world of online car forums so please be quick to correct me if I do anything improperly.

I am considering purchasing a 1970 Mustang F code hard top to restore. This will be my first restoration of any vehicle.
The reason why I wish to restore a 1970 Mustang is because my father owned one back in the mid to late 1970's, until his brother got a hold of the keys one icy morning and the car never came home.

I really want to pay tribute to my father's mustang by restoring one just like it (down to options, trim, color, etc) so that I can enjoy it as much as he did.

I have a ton of documentation on it so I know all the equipment and option codes I will be restoring this car to. It was a 1970 Ford Mustang Hardtop
70's muscle car green (not sure of real name)
302 2BBL V8 Engine
3 Speed Automatic (i really don't want to drive a stick in suburban traffic and i'm keeping all the specs identical)
Eight Track Philco radio
non 3 spoke design steering wheel.

Where should I look for a restoration candidate? How much can I expect to pay for one? Any other advice?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hello All,

I am new to the world of online car forums so please be quick to correct me if I do anything improperly.

I am considering purchasing a 1970 Mustang F code hard top to restore. This will be my first restoration of any vehicle.
The reason why I wish to restore a 1970 Mustang is because my father owned one back in the mid to late 1970's, until his brother got a hold of the keys one icy morning and the car never came home.

I really want to pay tribute to my father's mustang by restoring one just like it (down to options, trim, color, etc) so that I can enjoy it as much as he did.

I have a ton of documentation on it so I know all the equipment and option codes I will be restoring this car to. It was a 1970 Ford Mustang Hardtop
70's muscle car green (not sure of real name)
302 2BBL V8 Engine
3 Speed Automatic (i really don't want to drive a stick in suburban traffic and i'm keeping all the specs identical)
Eight Track Philco radio
non 3 spoke design steering wheel.

Where should I look for a restoration candidate? How much can I expect to pay for one? Any other advice?

Thanks

Bill
Bill, welcome to the forum. Here you'll find alot of help and advice.

To start with finding a candidate you need to decide what you're willing to spend.
Restoration is not cheap, nor is subletting repairs. Do you want a driveable car and work on the weekends or one that needs a total restoration from the beginning.
You can check craigslist in your area, Mustang clubs, car magazines, auctions, and Ebay. Also check craigslist within your state and neighboring states. My current Mustang project came from New Mexico, I drove over 2,000 miles to get the car.
Next you need to assess your skills, tool and talents. How much do you want to yourself and what to farm out.
Next make yourself a budget and a time frame for work to be completed. If not, the mustang of your dreams will probably get put on the back burner.

There's probably more that can be added to the list and others here will post advice as well.

Good Luck
Jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bill, welcome to the forum. Here you'll find alot of help and advice.

To start with finding a candidate you need to decide what you're willing to spend.
Restoration is not cheap, nor is subletting repairs. Do you want a driveable car and work on the weekends or one that needs a total restoration from the beginning.
You can check craigslist in your area, Mustang clubs, car magazines, auctions, and Ebay. Also check craigslist within your state and neighboring states. My current Mustang project came from New Mexico, I drove over 2,000 miles to get the car.
Next you need to assess your skills, tool and talents. How much do you want to yourself and what to farm out.
Next make yourself a budget and a time frame for work to be completed. If not, the mustang of your dreams will probably get put on the back burner.

There's probably more that can be added to the list and others here will post advice as well.

Good Luck
Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

I am just trying to find a rolling chassis and build the car up as money allows. I want something that when completed I will be able to drive semi regularly but my 2005 accord (fun car in its own right but I really have a passion for mustangs) will remain my daily driver.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks Jeff.

I am just trying to find a rolling chassis and build the car up as money allows. I want something that when completed I will be able to drive semi regularly but my 2005 accord (fun car in its own right but I really have a passion for mustangs) will remain my daily driver.
In Mustang Talk view the thread about Making the Ultimate Series of Checklists. I wrote up what to look for when buying a mustang...Hope it gives you some insight.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
You need to do the work to find a car with the correct engine, trans, rear end, PS, AC, PB, that you want. It will save you oh so much time and money. The radio and wheels would be a very long shot at best and those type of things are an easy swap.

Buy the best car you can afford. And you will still find a whole lot of work to do on it.

An #4 unrestored car showing wear is valued at about $5200. A restored #1 car at 13K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts