Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 mach 1. Right now there is a big bulky aftermarket tach right by the steering wheel.

Ide really like to change my guages over to the indash tach set up but for the life of me I cant seem to find an indash tach I can buy anywhere.

I contemplated putting a hood tach on but I cant convince myself I like them enough to drill holes in my hood for it.

Im just wondering if anyone knows where to get a good in dash tach that has the same original colors and font. I guess I forgot to mention that I def want one that looks original.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Its a little more involved than what you think. If you were to install an "in dash tach", it would go where your current fuel and temp gauges are. Therefore, what would you do for fuel and temp gauges ?

Actually, you either go the route of buying a complete original cluster with tach on ebay and risk the need of it needing repair. In addition to considerable wiring changes to your car seeing how your under dash harness, firewall to headlight harness, and alternator harness will need to be changed or modified.

Or

You replace your original instrument cluster with an aftermarket like a "Dakota Digital" 1969-70 Ford Mustang VHX Instruments. Or possibly the Vintage UAS set up http://www.cjponyparts.com/new-vint...speedometer-complete-kit-1969-1970/p/IBK691P/

or even some other do it yourselfer's How To Upgrade To Ultra-Lite Gauges - Mustang Monthly Magazine
Either way, its going to get expensive and both will require some wiring changes.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Its a little more involved than what you think. If you were to install an "in dash tach", it would go where your current fuel and temp gauges are. Therefore, what would you do for fuel and temp gauges ?

Actually, you either go the route of buying a complete original cluster with tach on ebay and risk the need of it needing repair. In addition to considerable wiring changes to your car seeing how your under dash harness, firewall to headlight harness, and alternator harness will need to be changed or modified.

Or

You replace your original instrument cluster with an aftermarket like a "Dakota Digital" 1969-70 Ford Mustang VHX Instruments. Or possibly the Vintage UAS set up 67408-01 Mustang New Vintage USA Gauges Black 1967 Series Electronic Speedometer Complete Kit 1969-1970 | CJ Pony Parts

or even some other do it yourselfer's How To Upgrade To Ultra-Lite Gauges - Mustang Monthly Magazine
Either way, its going to get expensive and both will require some wiring changes.

I went with Dakota Digital on my 66 FB and I really like them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went with a Super Tach II Mini. Its small (a little over 2"), accurate, was reasonably priced and fits nicely between the gauges. It may not be race quality but I didn't want to change out all the gauges or spend the extra money for new electronics. I agree a standard 3 1/2" tach. is obnoxious for a classy driver. Put some sort of padding to protect the column and it works fine.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts