Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys, just picked up my first complete resto project! Pretty good pick if I must say so coolbeans.gif

Sorry for those who love all original matching numbers and paint, but this was originally a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof 302 2V, but came with everything for the Mach 1 mach.

So, I have a built 429 stroked to 521 that I was originally planning on throwing in. However, now I know there is quite a bit of modification required to do the swap, ie. beefing up the front suspension, changing the steering bracket stuff, shaving the shock towers, etc. I'm pretty dumb, so unless someone has the go to step-by-step instructions and layout for the swap, Ill be doing something a little more novice.

I have my eyes on a 351C I plan on building up, but Im not sure what all to do to prep for the swap. Will I need different engine mounts, wiring, and cross members, or should it all mount up? Remember I am new, so type slowly for those of us who haven't finished their ASE training.

As of now, I just finished media blasting the car and will be sealing blocking and sanding my a$$ off for the next week. Hopefully finishing the paint this month with the grabber blue. So I guess now would be a good time to ask what all I should do now while the car is in pieces? The front is already converted to a disc brake setup. I want the car to go around turns as if it were a newer mustang. I dont mind doing a little extra fabrication, but I am not going to minitub it and ruin the interior. Im finishing the seats this week and dont feel like building my own rear seat.

Anywho, easy upgrades and ideas wanted!! Whatever parts I can find near bolt-in that will help the old school stomp the new, please let me now!

FYI Im kind of on a budget, but not really... So saving money is cool, but if its worth the extra dough, by all means money is made to be spent somehow!
happy039.gif

·
Super Moderator
40,049 Posts
Welcome to the site!! I moved your post for a better response.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
.........this was originally a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof 302 2V, but came with everything for the Mach 1 mach.

I have my eyes on a 351C I plan on building up, but Im not sure what all to do to prep for the swap. Will I need different engine mounts, wiring, and cross members, or should it all mount up? Remember I am new, so type slowly for those of us who haven't finished their ASE training.
The 351C will drop right in in place of the 302 no changes to the mount, cross member, suspension, etc. I would suggest going to the big block radiator that was used for the 390/428 cars (spectra CU387). Naturally, the exhaust will be different as well.

What year is the 351C that you have and is it a 2V or 4V ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 351C will drop right in in place of the 302 no changes to the mount, cross member, suspension, etc. I would suggest going to the big block radiator that was used for the 390/428 cars (spectra CU387). Naturally, the exhaust will be different as well.

What year is the 351C that you have and is it a 2V or 4V ?
The motor is from a 1972 Lincoln LTD. I believe it is the 4V. I will hopefully be able to reuse the same bottom end and just do a port job on the heads. Ill scrap the old cam and throw in a COMP cam with a rough idle, intake manifold, headers, larger mechanical fuel pump, and holley carb... sound good?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The motor is from a 1972 Lincoln LTD. I believe it is the 4V. I will hopefully be able to reuse the same bottom end and just do a port job on the heads. Ill scrap the old cam and throw in a COMP cam with a rough idle, intake manifold, headers, larger mechanical fuel pump, and holley carb... sound good?
Your really better of dumping those 4V open chamber heads and finding a set of 2V heads. They are much more streetable and will do a better job for you. If your going to install much more than a stock cam, you'll need to have the heads fitted with screw in studs, and guide plates and a non generic set of roller rockers. Have them pressure checked as well.

Cant use any intake other than one that is 351C specific. Not only is the 302 intake dimensionally incorrect for the 351C, the 302 is a "wet" intake where as a 351C intake is a "dry" intake i

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to the site! I'd love to see some pics as you work your way through the project!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello edsteffan,
Good luck with the car

Just so you know - -a 351C is kinda unique
It uses a DRY intake system - - meaning the coolant is not
routed through the intake like on most small blocks

So if your motor is a Clev - -the 302 intake will not work

An easy way to tell if you have a C is to look and see if the heater hoses
attach to the top of the intake - -if they do - then it is NOT a C

There are a few other signs - -if you need help let us know

I think you'll have a great time with the car

Let us know - and if you have issues send me a PM
owned our Mach about 36 years I guess

Be well - -work safe
Print Dad

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
So, I have a built 429 stroked to 521 that I was originally planning on throwing in. However, now I know there is quite a bit of modification required to do the swap, ie. beefing up the front suspension, changing the steering bracket stuff, shaving the shock towers, etc. I'm pretty dumb, so unless someone has the go to step-by-step instructions and layout for the swap, Ill be doing something a little more novice.

happy039.gif

Ed, just to clear the air on the 429 big block in your car. It does NOT require any of the modifications such as "changing the steering bracket stuff, shaving the shock towers, etc." Anyone who tells you this has either not done the swap or is telling you hear say.

The car does need to have the reinforced shock towers like those that were standard on "big Block" mustangs (390 and 428). (If your car was a 302, I highly doubt that it came from the factory with them.) but they don't need to be shaved. Nothing to the steering needs to be changed either. However, there are a number of "unique parts" such as special motor mounts, BB C6 trans cross member that are required as well as other considerations. It gets pricey. I have experience with this as I helped my brother install a 429 in his 69 Mach I that he is resto-moding (restoring with some minor changes)

With that being said, I still will recommend to you to go with the 351C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts