Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone—I'm a newbie here and hope someone can help with this problem. I have a 1970 Mustang coupe which was recently painted and I'm putting all the lights, trim, etc. back on and I've run into the following problem: when the headlamp switch is on (in either position) both turn signal indicators on the dash light up and all side markers are dimmed. Otherwise the dash turn signal indicators, markers and emergency switch functions are normal... with or without the headlamp switch on. I've traced all wiring and found no problems and the ground connections appear okay. I disconnected the turn signal switch harness and the dash indicators still go on when the headlamp switch is turned on. The problem is ONLY when the headlamp switch is on. All wiring is original Ford. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! i suggest to recheck the grounds,lightswitch and bulbs.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Double check the ground connection to the instrument panel lighting. It seems that power is back feeding through the directional signal indicators. Also check that problematic connection to the inst. panel, between the plug in connector and the printed ckt. board.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've double checked everything and still can't find anything wrong and all the connections appear to be good. Installed a new headlamp switch also and still have the problem. Any more ideas? This is driving me crazy!

Thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
lights

Sounds like a bad ground to me. make sure that your ground from the motor to the body is good If that ground is bad all your lights will not be grounded good.and welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem finally solved. Once I attached the bumpers and bumper-mounted turn signals everything worked okay. I replaced all bulbs all around also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts