Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 1970 mustang in which everything was working great. All of a sudden I have no power to anything. I got out my tester and found that I have power all the way to the steering column. Any Ideas what this might be? Where should I look next?

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) Are you saying that the car won't start, the horns and lights don't work, nothing is working? If that's the case, the only things that everything has in common would be the battery, the battery cables and the hot side of the starter solenoid.:)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) If power is making it to the base of the steering column, then the horns and lights should be working. If the only stuff that isn't working is stuff that needs to have the key in the On position, I would take a look at the ignition switch. If power is making it out of the ignition switch, I would track it out and find the break. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi- I Do have power at the base of the steering column. I also have no lights and the vehicle will not start unless I hot wire it a t the starter soleniod. What is weird is that this problem just came up all of a sudden. the only thing that I touched before i had issues was the headlight switch. I replaced the back licence plate light with a new one. Checked it worked fine and then when I pulled the light switch out again I had no power to anything.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) What motivated you to replace the headlight switch in the first place? It could be that you have a dead short somewhere that has been mis-diagnosed as a bad headlight switch.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not replace the switch. I changed the back light on the licence plate and after AI did this I still had power and everything was working great. I shut off the lights and and then had no power.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Yeah, that is kind of weird. Isn't this fun?:nogrinner The first thing you would want to do from here would be to turn on the headlights at the switch and kind of wiggle and twist on the knob a little bit and see if that gets the lights to come on, or at least, start flickering or something. It kind of sounds like you might have a couple of problems. If power is making it inside the car, the lights and horns should be working. If they don't, that sounds like a headlight switch problem. But, a headlight switch problem won't make the car not start, unless someone has wired in a fuse or something on the ignition circuit. Then, a short in the lighting would pop the fuse on the ignition as soon as you turn the key on. If there is no fuse along the ignition circuit, then that part sounds like an ignition switch problem. I guess the million dollar question would be is your wiring still pretty much as original? If the car's electrical system has been modified pretty extensively, that isn't something that anyone would be able to help you with without being able to actually check out the car themselves. On the 70 model cars the actual ignition switch is seperate from the mechanical part of the switch that you put the key into. There's a little arm that goes from the part where the key goes down to where the switching mechanism is. The switch is on the steering column underneath the round trim sleeve thingy that goes around the steering column. Locate the ignition switch and see if power is making it to the switch, and if it's leaving the switch with the key in the on position.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.