Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys so i just recieved a 1970 mustang grande and im doing a complete restore from the ground up i want this to be an extreme performance car the only thing wrong with it is the shock tower rusted off but i was thinking about running independent front and rear suspension so that will replace that and i want to run something like a 427 windsor engine with the big 3 barrel carb sticking out the hood does anyone have any ideas, sugestions or even just good names and places of where to get parts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi welcome to AFM! You picked the right place to come for advice and help with your project, everyone on here is grate its a awesome place! :bigthumbsup I will leave the mechanical advice to the experts, as I am still learning, but I can tell you to look to CJponyparts for any parts you need they have free shipping and excellent pricing, that is where i get most of my stuff. One more thing don't forget to ask lots of questions and keep us updated. Have fun and good luck its a long road but a fun journey:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks and yea i checked this forum out and there seems to be alot of people that know what there talking about so im really hoping to get some good advice and hopefully in about five years ill have a show winning stang to show off

·
Registered
142 Posts
Welcome! If for some reason you can not find what you are looking for at CJPonyparts you can check with Mustangsunlimited or even yearone

Good luck :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
hi guys so i just recieved a 1970 mustang grande and im doing a complete restore from the ground up i want this to be an extreme performance car the only thing wrong with it is the shock tower rusted off but i was thinking about running independent front and rear suspension so that will replace that and i want to run something like a 427 windsor engine with the big 3 barrel carb sticking out the hood does anyone have any ideas, sugestions or even just good names and places of where to get parts
I didnt know they made 3 barrel carbs, you mean a six pack?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not 100% sure what its called iv just heard people call it that but its a big chrome intake that sticks out of the hood normaly has three to four barrel intakes

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are talking about a 6 pack with a high rise belt drive blower. I may be wrong though

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
you like that look? i think it's a little odd looking.

You mean the air cleaner that has the butterfly operners that open when you hit the gas?

I would keep your 427 under the hood. all that ish sticking out is obsolete.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea like i said im kinda bouncing ideas around iv always kinda liked that look but im not sure exactly what im gunna do im trying to plan the whole thing out first. what do you think about the 427 good engine to use or no and what would a good independent suspension set up be

·
Registered
142 Posts
you like that look? i think it's a little odd looking.

You mean the air cleaner that has the butterfly operners that open when you hit the gas?

I would keep your 427 under the hood. all that ish sticking out is obsolete.

Don't you want to be able to see why you drive that thing? lol

I'm in agreement with Pig Muffin on this one. That look just ruins the look of a great classic. However it is not my place to tell you what to do or not to do. If anything put a scoop on the hood, the 427 will do enough work for you without all that gaudy looking stuff on top.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Don't you want to be able to see why you drive that thing? lol

I'm in agreement with Pig Muffin on this one. That look just ruins the look of a great classic. However it is not my place to tell you what to do or not to do. If anything put a scoop on the hood, the 427 will do enough work for you without all that gaudy looking stuff on top.
I agree with this 111%. Gaudy is the perfect word I was looking for. You could try this, but I would stick to keeping it under the hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
or this kind of look.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wasnt really looking for something to stick out even as much as the pic i put up i was just thinking about the concept of using something similar

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
i wasnt really looking for something to stick out even as much as the pic i put up i was just thinking about the concept of using something similar
im just playin with ya bro.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and it would help if you guy could actualy give me some good ideas rather than harp on a simple idea that i already said i wasnt going to use for sure thats the whole point of me posting this was to try and get new ideas

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Mainly cosmetic, that’s an old school look more for personal taste. They make it to where it can all fit under the hood now and make better power, unless you a simply going for that. If you have an infinite budget, go with a 427w with a turbo, and a 4 link back half, all said and done you might be looking at around 20k to do it but you will perform nicely.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
throw a tko or some bitchin 5 or 6 speed behind it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts