Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I repair the rust that is on top of the shock towers? It is the spot where the apron and shock tower flanges overlap just inside the fender edge.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does it just appear to be surface rust or does it go under the overlap? I'm not sure on a '70 but on my '68 I can look at the back side of that overlap from the wheel side.

If your not sure how deep the rust goes...take a hammer and "tap" on it fairly hard from both sides. If it sounds "solid" you're probably OK and just need to clean up the surface rust. If it sounds dead, hollow, or seems to "crush or crumble" when to hit it with the hammer then you have a bigger problem and will have to repair/replace the metal where the overlap is.

If it's just surface rust, get a wire wheel for your drill and scour it down. Then prime and re-paint/undercoat.

Kinda hard to say though. Can you post pics?

·
Registered
130 Posts
and make sure if it is jusgt surface rust i would put a rust killer on it first, after you clean it like montana said, then i would put self etching primer over that so the rust wont come back through

·
Registered
130 Posts
oh yea and make sure when you buy self etching primer or in the future buy normal primer buy a 2 part primer, , you know where you have to mix something into it like hardener, way way better not much more in cost and will save you in the long run, than that stuff you just shake and spray on there, i can get you some good brands and there part number if you want them

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I did that repair to my car, and I cut it out and placed a small patch in there. You can see it on my website here inner_fender_replacement2

Not a bad repair to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay's pictures on his website is what mine looks like, its solid on the bottom but its the top that is bad. I'll have to cut the bad stuff out and replace it, what gage did you use?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Jay's pictures on his website is what mine looks like, its solid on the bottom but its the top that is bad. I'll have to cut the bad stuff out and replace it, what gage did you use?
It's either 18 or 20, it was the remains of a repro patch panel that I didn't use completely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
oh ok, thats in a real easy spot to repair , so thats good,meaning not under the car or in tight spots, let us know how it turns out i believe that metal would be 18 guage, i would still use the self etching primer after its all in there because of the bare metal you would have to worry bout the rust treatment but i would defently get the etching primer and then primer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep you posted, I have finals next week so it will be after that. I'm hoping to get some pictures of the car on the web soon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jay...That's a great step-by-step of how to do that! I have the same problem on both towers of mine. I have been going through the sequence in my head but your pics helped me clear up a lot of things.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.