Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I was wondering where or how I might be able to lift the rear of my car. As in I want the rear end of my car to be higher than the front end of my car. I was thinking of getting new shocks but I'm pretty sure that is not the answer here. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The simplest method is to buy an extended shackle for the rear spring mount. Inexpensive, and can be done in an hour or so. That can raise the rear 1-2".

Don't use air shocks, unless you only want the rear raised at the drag strip, and nowhere else.

You could move the springs to the top of the axle. But you'll need to weld in new spring perches.

After you raise it, be sure and check pinion angle. You may have to put a wedge between the spring pack and perch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the current setup on the car? Why do you want to raise the height of the rear suspension?
The current suspension it stock. I Just did regular maintence to the suspension on the car. But it's time to replace the rear shocks because now the front end of the car is actually higher than the rear end of the car and I want to give it a more muscular look by rasing the rear. If you want I can post some pictures for you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That'd be good. If the rear springs are original, they need to be replaced because the are "sagging." Look up Mustangs Plus on-line. They have different options for your car.

Raising the rear suspension reduces your braking ability, traction, and overall handling. If you want the rear to sit higher, go with factory height springs in the rear and lowering springs in the front along with a matched set of front/rear swaybars. I had KYB Gas-adjust shocks on my 68 and they were worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That'd be good. If the rear springs are original, they need to be replaced because the are "sagging." Look up Mustangs Plus on-line. They have different options for your car.

Raising the rear suspension reduces your braking ability, traction, and overall handling. If you want the rear to sit higher, go with factory height springs in the rear and lowering springs in the front along with a matched set of front/rear swaybars. I had KYB Gas-adjust shocks on my 68 and they were worth it.

Thank you very much for this information. I will probaly go with your idea, because it is more logical than just raising the rear.

Here are some pics, to show you of how low it is.
It's not bad but I know it's just going to get worse so better than never.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Lifting shackles hurt your handling and traction.Your best bet is new leaf springs.The cheapest safe way is get a load leveler aka add a leaf from any auto parts store but its a bandaid tho.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yes, your leaf springs are sagging. I put load-leveler coil over shocks on the back of my 66 coupe (w/o new springs) and it improved handling and reduced wheel-hop. You still need to replace the rear springs. Definitely get on Mustang Plus' website. They have a five-leaf and a four-and-a-half leaf that will reduce wrapping and wheel-hops.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for this valuable information, I greatly appreciate it! I will probaly buy this next week when I get paid again!

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
No not that coilover shocks those are just as bad as air shocks.The add a leaf type of load leveler is good but new springs are well worth the money.Good luck getting your front bolts out on the leafs.Most of us have to cut and beat them out since they kinda rusted to the spring so plan a full day for this.Since you have a 71 Ohio Mustang Supply - Welcome! has the most parts for them i seen at one place.And Big Horse Parts & Restorations and 71 429 CJ Mustang and Cougar Megasite both are full of great use full info you might need one day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you guys for the info and insight.
:bigthumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts