Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 71 Mustang with C6DP-7006A (side) on the side of the trans and RF-04AP-7A705A on the front. Tried to put a C-4 filter on but it doesn't fit. Bell housing says C50P-7976A. The torque convertor (i think) is broke and i'm trying to replace it. It has 31 or 32 splines and 4 bolts (spaced 7 1/2 " apart to center, 1 drain plug, 11 bolts on the pan. Don't know what it came out of if its not OEM. (Story of my life with this P.O.C.)
:waveyOne more question, Should the torque convertor thump from side to side (internally) about a 1/4 to 1/2 ". I'm getting banging, thumping noice from the bottom of the bell housing when run, also get real HOT. Thanks all

picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is a C4. You may get some play in the converter if it isn't on the tranny, the tranny holds everything in alignment. If you have the wrong bolts holding it to the flexplate, it won't bolt down all the way and will rattle.

There are several different filters depending on the year and application, take the old one and have them match it when you buy the new one. Also, what's HOT ? How hot? A tranny can run 200 degrees, 150 -175 is better, but I've seen them run even hotter towing up a hill.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
There are no "bolts" holding the covertor to the flexplate. They are welded studs. Something to check is the alignment of the convertor drain plug with the proper hole for it. I've seen where it is put on wrong and the result is a thumping from the out-of-aligned flexplate.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I din't think about checking the drain plug alignment on the converter to the fly wheel. Chances are it was out of alignment. Is the flexplate your refering to the flywheel? Also the trans dipstick & dipstick tube was very hot ( i'm guessing about 200 degrees). Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found the problem. Two of the bolts holding the flywheel to the engine block backed out and were making contact with the converter. Thought I torqued them in, but evidentally not. Anyone know the torque specs? Thanks all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
There are no "bolts" holding the covertor to the flexplate. They are welded studs.
There are some converters that use bolts. I had a guy bring me a 66 that was making a clunking noise and I found the bolts were a bit too long and didn't torque against the flexplate. Yes' most are the welded studs but some use the bolts. I'm not sure if it was an aftermarket converter, just that it was on a C4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.