Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first time writing, seeking advice on smoke coming from exhaust on my 71 with a 351C. In the mornings when I start the car up, it smokes what appears to be white smoke for about 2 minutes. Goes away for the rest of the day and subsequents starts produce no visible smoke. I'm thinking blown head gasket but not sure because normally there would be oil in coolant or water in oil but 351C has a dry intake so that wouldn't happen or would it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Making sure it's white smoke and not blue smoke can be a tricky matter, but if it is white - that, as you know, suggests water. It is common for cars, especially if they sit outside, but not exclusively, to burn off a little condensation from the exhaust upon starting for the first time in a day. This is nothing to worry about.

Now, to be sure...

Check for coolant in oil,
Oil in coolant,
Milky film in the inner valve cover/rocker area,
Poor compression in a cylinder or two,
Oddly pressurized overflow tank or radiator - spewing after the car is turned off and it's NOT overheated.

These checks will help with problemed head gasket diagnosis.

Now, if it is a lightish blue (may look white), but...

This indicates oil burning and if it is and only does this the first time you start it in a day, it suggests that your valve seals are leaking a little oil into the cylinder overnight only to be burnt off in the morning.

And if your intake does not have coolant passages, you can rule out intake/coolant leaks, but I'm not familiar with the C's to strongly advise.

·
Registered
593 Posts
It could certainly be the things the others have said, but....
Every time I have had a car that smoked after it had been sitting (like over night) it has been oil leaking past the valve guides. Hope that's not it, just my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.