Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since passing on the '72 Mustang Swiss Cheese version I have been searching around and came across a 1971 sportsroof in fair enough condition for me to consider purchasing for restoration. I have been around many Mustangs over the years and have seen many different iterations of the 1971-1973 Mustang lineup. I have seen standard coupes and sportsroof models, Grande's and Mach 1s. I have seen Boss 351 cars and even a GT-351 once but the one I found is rather unique in that it has a vinyl top which I have never seen before!

Now, I realize that just because these aging eyes have never seen a sportsroof with a vinyl top doesn't necessarily make it a rare item. Still, if anyone knows just how many were produced (either for the model year or the three year production run), I'd sure enough like to know!

Mac

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
65000 Sports roofs and approximately 7800 with the vinyl roof. buy hey that is 7800 distributed 40 years ago and 156 per state that's not a lot by todays standards.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your 65k number must be the complete '71-'73 years as there was only 23,956 produced during the 1971 model year. If the numbers you have are correct then I can assume about 12% of the cars produced were with the vinyl roof option yielding about 2,875 sportsroof cars.

I suppose the vinyl roof could well have been a dealer installed option but from the looks of things it does look like a factory job as compared to others I've seen online today.

At any rate, here is the one I bought today.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I have never seen a full vinyl 71-73 sport roof there is a half vinyl which i seen two of ever.All vinyl roofs where factory not dealer but there was and still is companies that can put one on any car.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Your 65k number must be the complete '71-'73 years as there was only 23,956 produced during the 1971 model year. If the numbers you have are correct then I can assume about 12% of the cars produced were with the vinyl roof option yielding about 2,875 sportsroof cars.

I suppose the vinyl roof could well have been a dealer installed option but from the looks of things it does look like a factory job as compared to others I've seen online today.

At any rate, here is the one I bought today.
YEP.... I saw that one an had it on my watch list to see what it would do. I hope it turns out to be all that you hoped for. BTW... my info was from Ford production numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts