Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mustangfrk71 again, does anyone know where i could find a turbo kit for a 1971 mustang whith a 460 engine?

Thanks,

Mustangfrk71

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Far as I know, there is no commercially sold "kit" for a 460 Mustang - or a 460 in anything, for that matter.

What does NOT work is trying to slap any old turbo on there and let it fly.

This is a project that would require a lot of study, talking to sellers of all sizes of turbochargers, and fabrication of, well, everything. Being a very good welder would be a given, of course.

If you plan to hire the work done, I would suggest you find a shop that specializes in custom turbo installs, and be prepared to spend the high dollar.

You will need to decide what sort of RPMs you want to turn, and the sort of powercurve (and output) you are seeking out of the engine. This will of course involve what FUNCTION you want the car to perform - dedicated racer - prostreet show car - street/strip - or daily driver (ha! not likely). Then you need to find the parts that will allow that engine to SURVIVE whatever use you plan (and exhaust valves that tolerate lots of turbo boost is something to give some serious thought to). Somewhere early on you will need to develop boost numbers to match that power curve and power output goals. The engine's compression ratio is another number you need to figure out. Out the bottom of all those numbers will fall some guidance as to the size turbo(s) you will need to buy.

All that's left after that is to fabricate the system, mostly from bar stock, angle stock and tubing, plus the correctly matched BOV and fuel injectors (think big, even for a simple setup). Big fuel pumps, etc.

Count on updating the car to a modern EEC, probably one that uses a MAF system. You will have to custom map EVERYTHING, so plan on hours on the dyno.

I've seen a few F150's out there with this sort of rig, and you might be able to search the web and find them and get them to give you some pointers.

I know there are some racers running big turbos and big blocks, too, though I don't know their secrets.

Personally, I would love to see this with pics and a write up. Maybe one is out there and some kind soul with post it here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah you need to talk to a performance shop a real one not some ricer one that slaps on body kits.
yeah but those body kits, giant wings and huge exhaust tips add like 100hp lol:shigrin

·
Registered
895 Posts
A supercharger would be a lot better with a carb and I am sure there is something out there that can be made to work much easier then a custom Turbo Kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts