1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there

I am at my witts end...

My 302 ran just fine UNTIL......

My Son converted it to electronic ingintion, then converted it back to the points.

NOW it OVERHEATS like crazy, and I have tried just about everything, maybe it is something really easy that I may be overlooking like fireing order, the #1 spark plug ect...

I just can not believe it would just SUDDENLY over heat like it does.

I've replace the water pump and got a oversized radiator but to no avail...

Any suggestions out there please????

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you replaced your thermostat?

·
Registered
144 Posts
How does it run compared to before the swap??? You could always take the t-stat out and get it up to normal temp and see what happens. If it still overheats, then I would have to think it's the timing also. Back it down (retard) till it runs cooler, but no hesitation or detanation.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello.Welcome.:)Why would your son go to the trouble of changing it to electronic ignition and then change it back to points?That sounds like he encountered a problem and tried to go back to where he was unsuccessfully.Also,the temp sending unit is close to the distributor.He could have damaged the wire in such a way that it is barely grounding itself out and causing the gauge to read higher than it was.Or he could have jostled it around some causing it to make better contact,giving you a more accurate reading and your car has actually been running hot for a while now but the gauge wasn't telling you that.Hope that helps and again,welcome.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.