Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently just put in a whole new suspension on my 72 mustang and i drove it for abot 30 minutes and it was running great it wasnt making any noises then all of a sudden it started making a loud squeaking noise when i go over bumps and turn. so when i parked it i got under the car and had my dad push down on the front end and it sounds like the noise is coming from the coil springs. i had heard that when you have the car in the air and you put new coil springs in you need to wait until the car is on the ground to tighten down the 2 nuts on the coil spring mounting bracket i dont know if thats true or not but any oppinions would be great thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you put new coil spring insulators at the top of the coil spring? If not they are a couple bucks a piece, but you'd have to pull the springs back out to put them on the top of the spring.

·
Registered
233 Posts
HI!

Hi! dne' here :wavey!
It amazes me how difficult a squeak can be to find! I have to ask dumb obvious questions, so parden me, but:
*you did lubricate the Upper control arms, the 4 fittings, you did install 90degree fittings for easy access?
"i had heard that when you have the car in the air and you put new coil springs in you need to wait until the car is on the ground to tighten down the 2 nuts on the coil spring mounting bracket i dont know if thats true or not but any oppinions would be great thanks"
*Coil spring mounting bracket? Spring perches you mean, what the coil springs actually sit on(these too generally have a rubber piece that the spring sits on? If this is what you were referring to, then it wouldn't matter, but they do need to be tight(doah!)
*Does it squeak on both sides? Are you for sure the springs are seated on the top area well? (just thinking about possibilities)
*I've seen some people have problems with the LCA's rubbing on the frame due to slightly bent frames. The LCA's receive a lot of abrupt damage due to being so low>
*Sway bar bushings?
*you had the front end aligned? If you put new suspension(especially LCA's, you couldn't possibly get very close on camber if you didn't, and if caster wasn't set correctly, a slim possibility when installing the new strut rod bushings may have placed the LCA/s to forwardly or back causing a rubbing of the LCA's(however a long shot possibility)
*I'd have my Dad keep pushing up and down on the fender until you're sure where it's coming from. If you put it together yourself, you should be able to locate it. Basically a simple setup as far as suspensions go, but can be a little testy at times!
dne' :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i checked everything out the coil springs are in right the only thing i didnt replace are the upper control arms and i think thats what is making the noise. the guy who i bought the car from didnt take care of it and didnt really know what he was doing so thats why i bought it because i new it would be a good project car. He didnt put the 90 degree grease zerts in so i went and bought some and when i tried to grease the upper control arms they wouldnt allow grease in and i thought maybe they're seized up and havent been greased in a long time and now they're probably bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i replaced them with rubber i think the noise is coming from the upper control arm shaft those bushings look bad it sounds like a metal to metal noise

1 - 8 of 8 Posts