Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I have a 1972 mustang convertible 351 Windsor with a 2 barrel carburetor and an FMX transmission and I am wondering what the value of the car might be. I will be posting pictures fairly soon but the car is not in what I would consider good condition. It has a working, recently patched top that does not leak, original deluxe medium green interior with a few rips in the bucket seats and a few parts of the carpet that have rotted out, but the rear bench is completely untouched and the deluxe dashboard is in fantastic condition, it does not have a tachometer and has the original AM radio in it. It runs very well, and is all original other than an amateur paint job that needs re-doing and the interior work. I am looking at buying it from a woman who has been letting it rot in a storage downtown, it was sitting there for about 2 years and only had a small amount of transmission fluid underneath it. They are asking 1500 and I'm just wondering what the going price is for a car like this. Any and all help or info is appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess at value

What would you say the car is worth, assuming everything else is in generally good condition other than what was mentioned? I'm trying to get an idea of how much work the car is worth, and how much it would take to get a reasonable profit

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

if they are asking 1500, most convertibles are worth that as a starting base to rebuild.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So you are saying that is about how much the car is worth? I'm being told she was GOING to sell it for $6000 but no one was buying so she is asking $1500 from me, I've been working on the car for her for a while and asked about buying it, and if the opportunity presents itself I will sell it. But I would like to know about how much I could ask for it.the NADA for low retail is about $9000 so I figure $6000-$7000 is fairly realistic, do you you agree? If not, what would be the most beneficial thing I could do for the car VALUE-wise.

Thank you for the quick responses!

·
Registered
896 Posts
No pics makes it hard to determine but a running convertible in the condition you describe would normally be worth a good bit more than $1,500. I would have bought it already at that price and not worried about anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm getting pictures this afternoon, and thanks! I'm looking for a little bit of good direction, I'm alone as far as advice goes, so any and all advice is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanically it is great, comfortable ride, smooth transitions but the belt rattles a little, but spray lubricant takes it away immediately

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fairly good everywhere else, paint is chipped, terrible job on the moldings on the left side, but I'm probably stripping all of it off and getting it refinished or replaced.. Glass window top doesn't leak. I know it will be a pretty good amount of work, but how much before its really worth something?

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts