Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am the new owner of a 72 fastback. Need to replace master cylinder, do i need to disconnect anything from the brake pedal? I have not received a manual yet and the more I look up online the more confused I get. Please help me!

·
Registered
797 Posts
yes the break pedal will desconnect from a master cylinder arm. this is behind your dash. do not worry you access this by laying on the floor and looking up in. that and taking the bolts out of firewall that hold master cylinder in should bring her right out. its not to bad of a job you just have to be patient and wiggle things around.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
new one on me, all my cars have always had power brakes and you simply loosen the brake lines and two mounting bolts and get rid of the old one and bolt in the new one.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Power brakes do not use the retaining clip on the rod that goes into the master cylinder. If you have manual brakes, you will have to disconnect the push rod under the dash as gearheadhick429 stated, and there will be a retaining clip on the end of the rod in the MC, your new MC will probably come with a new push rod, do not assume it is the same length as the old, I would compare them to be sure. I would recommend you bench bleed the master cylinder before you install it on the car, this is done by holding the new MC in a vise, fill it with brake fluid (DOT3) using a long screwdriver to push in the plunger, and put your fingers over the holes where the brake lines go (unless your new MC came with 2 adapters and 2 rubber hoses which allow the fluid to recirculate), so when you push in the plunger, release the air or fluid with your fingers, then press them back down and release the plunger, then repeat until it feels like you are not getting anymore air, then I usually keep my fingers over the holes, unclamp it from the vise, install it in the car, hooking up the brakes lines, don't tighten them yet, then install the two bolts and tighten the brake lines, you will have to bleed the brakes to finish the job. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts