Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Mustang Convertible 351c
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I was helped earlier by the community and I greatly appreciate you all for the input and knowledge you have given me. I managed to solve my previous issue. However, I found another one that I haven't found any answers to on the internet. I have realized my AC unit on my mustang makes it hard to work in the engine bay and it feels like it takes up too much space. I was wondering if anyone has removed theirs before and what resources or what did they have to plug and disconnect? I know they have made AC elimination kits but I have not found any for a 1973 mustang. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,821 Posts
Not much of a kit needed. Remove AC, plug or cap the firewall fittings, remove AC bracket and lines, get shorter belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does your Mustang lose any value by having the original AC taken out. I have a 66 convertible and have been thinking about this for a while.

·
Registered
1967 Mercury Cougar XR7
2,821 Posts
Cocky, taking out the AC altogether is not very desirable - especially for people that drive in hot weather. For all out performance use, it makes more sense. Because of that, yes, it will decrease your car's value. Hard to say how much.

However, there are also kits that remove the old York or Tecumseh compressor, and replace it with a Sanden that is much smaller and does a better job. Perhaps that could be an alternative?

·
Registered
1973 Mustang Convertible 351c
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does your Mustang lose any value by having the original AC taken out. I have a 66 convertible and have been thinking about this for a while.
No you really don’t as long as you keep original parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grim:

I have had the car for over 20 years and have used the A/C once when coming home from a car show and a thunderstorm came up on me. The register inside prohibits a new under dash stereo from going in and working around the compressor can be a bear.

Is it hard to cap or plug the firewall holes if I do take it out? What it best to use for that task?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would pay a premium any day for an A/C car, as living up north A/C was quite a rare option for cars in the 60-70's. It really wasn't purchased a lot as the old vehicles have front vent windows and side kick panel vents. That allowed huge volumes of air to keep the interior relatively cool feeling. New cars don't have either so A/C is pretty well a must in any climate to help air circulation.
If you do remove the A/C, keep all the parts to help your resale value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts