Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my mustang yesterday and was driving her home when i heard a pop from the front right tire and thenthe car started pulling hard to the left. I have to mention that the steering wheel was not centered and that it rested in a 3 o clock position but since i heard that noise it wants to center itself at 12 oclock which would be right except at 12 o clock the tires are cut to the left, it also since the noise makes a dragging sound when the wheel is turned to the left all the way like the tire is scaping or mufler dragging.(its not). i also heard a noise that was reminicent of my brake pad being low on my motorcycle from the front right but it pulls left? ..so it may be that the brakes dragging or I'm guessing something is wrong in the power steering but as this is my first day im not about to go guessing to much, I dont even have a manual yet. any help, or ideas would be appreciated. :worship

·
Registered
73 Posts
'73 mustang steering.

Hi, welcome to the mustang thing. Believe me they are worth all the hassles in the long run. First, if you have a floor jack, you need to put the whole front end in the air so you can see everything. Then maybe a couple of jackstands just so it doesn't come down real fast. You need to have somebody turn the wheel back and forth for you while you look under the front end. There will be lots or things moving and many are probably just worn out. Tie rod ends, drag link, etc all are probably original 1973. Then look under the hood at your shock towers and the export braces between the firewall and the towers. Are they bent? Do they both look the same? Just cause if somebody had an offroad adventure and hit something down low, they could have tweaked that tower and brace which will for sure screw the alignment for sure. Check it out! and good luck. Laters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
got it up on blocks now

ok so i jacked it up and have it on some blocks, i turn the wheel one way then another it looks all smooth, there is a click in the steering column above the export braces, and behind the dash every time i spin it past center toward the right. the camber must be off the one of the wheels is not quite as centered it seems i got 49 1/2 inches at the bottom and almost 51 inches on the top of the tire between the two, the power steering wasnt the problem i checked by turning it on and it stays true unless its moving it pulls really hard right still though. the shock towers look equal and the same and they all seem lined up other than the rims. im gonna take em off and make sure they are on tight. any other ideas?

·
Registered
73 Posts
'73 mustang adventures......

Wow, I don't know what the clicking would be. I can't remember if there is the typical "rag-joint" between the steering box and the steering column or not. I did hear that GM made the steering boxes for the '71-'73 mustang. There's the problem.......just kidding! A friend of mine has a basket-case '71 convert. Lots of big motor plans for that one. That clicking could just be one of the tie rod ends or the drag link popping because it is just old and lots of play in it. It will be worth it to start replacing one piece at a time in the front end. (like Johnny Cash but he stole one piece at a time.) You may get to the front spindles and find you need new ball joints too. That would make your alignment haywire also. I never had one but still like those mustangs. They were huge under the hood because they were going to be the next Boss 429 cars, except the '70s oil shortage killed that one for us. I have a '70 Mach and had to cut it all out and put mustang II front end in as my right shock tower blew out on me. Seventy one to seventy three were stronger up front where they needed to be for performance and big blocks. Good luck on your search for that click. Catch ya later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i got the strut rods off!

I havnt figured out the clicking noise in the steering column but i have removed the strut rods! not an easy feat thats for sure, nice fat lip to attest to that haha. i ordered the new parts for next day delivery so they should be here tonight. i am heading to a body shop now to have them weld the frame hopefully i leave wallet intact, weew...the biggest problem being how do i put the new strut rods back on the bushing pattern is there a certain amount of pressure that i need to applly? do i need a torque wrench for this? what order do the washers go in?

this has been a frustrating but great week, definitly worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.