Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so heres the car i just got. it needs some paint obviously but other than that its pretty solid. interior is kinda screwed up too.
i think ill document the restoration process and do some before and afters when im done :bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet thanks man, yeah the body is in really good shape actually. most of the bondo work has already been done and there's zero rust under the chassis so i figure its a good platform to build from

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hi Don, looks like a great project! You mentioned that you will document and do some before and after shots, that would be awesome if you can post pictures of your progress. I started you off with your first progress picture by uploading the picture from your post to your personal Gallery. Hope to see more pictures once you get started on your project! Good luck with it :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my goal is to keep the interior pretty close to looking factory stock but modify the engine to produce around 400whp. (its modded now i just have no idea how much) ill be painting the car jet black all around with maybe some racing stripes or graphics. not sure on that portion yet.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres pretty twisty roads around where i live so good handling would be nice. in know the previous owner installed stiffer springs and shocks tho. its also got larger than stock tires in the back and a new set that i haven't looked at yet. is there anything else i should do in that respect?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Welcome!

Here's another place that could help you, Big Horse Parts & Restorations The guy deals with the 71-73s strictly. Good guy and he has redone cars for himself too so he knows them. He'll know who I am too if he saw my user name on here.

National Parts Depot (NPD) NPDLink | National Parts Depot and Mustang's Unlimited two of the big Mustang parts suppliers that I recommend. I have spent thousands with both of them the last 10 years and they have been very good and I've even gone to the MU store here in CT several times.

The parts demand for the big 71-73 cars is expanding more rapidly the last few years as more people are getting interested in them. The restoration of these cars is becoming easier now although you'll find they are still behind when it comes to the earlier ones. It will slowly get easier (and cheaper ;) ) though as more repro parts are brought out for these cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i got a really good look at everything today. the car has after market shocks on all 4 wheels. the rear brakes where seized but i got that worked out. one of the break lines is leaky and needs to be replaced. the engine has aftermarket heads and igniton in it, probably some other stuff too. the rear tail lights do not work and nether do any of the blinkers. does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 73 mustang (prefferably the entire chassis)?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok thanks that should help. i think i pretty much have to replace all the wires going to the tails (they look really beat up) but i have not checked the actual lamps yet so we'll see

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Make sure all the ground wires are connected and have a good solid ground to the chassis/body.

The factory service manual set like this Mustangs Unlimited - The Source for Mustang Parts, Shelby Parts, Cougar Parts and Accessories (note, I can't get the 1973 version to show, it's part # SM9 01) or the wiring diagram manual like this Mustangs Unlimited - The Source for Mustang Parts, Shelby Parts, Cougar Parts and Accessories

The factory service manual covers the electrical and it is the reprint of the actual manuals the Ford service departments have. I bought the one for my 68 (plus the 5 volume set for 69 since I'm hoping to find a 69 for my next project car) and I now use this manual more than the Haynes or Chilton that I also have for my car. The Ford service manual goes into much greater detail than the other two. They offer the manuals on CD rom (Adobe Acrabat reader PDF files) but having an actual book with you as you're working on the car I find is better.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Make sure all the ground wires are connected and have a good solid ground to the chassis/body.

The factory service manual set like this Mustangs Unlimited - The Source for Mustang Parts, Shelby Parts, Cougar Parts and Accessories (note, I can't get the 1973 version to show, it's part # SM9 01) or the wiring diagram manual like this Mustangs Unlimited - The Source for Mustang Parts, Shelby Parts, Cougar Parts and Accessories

The factory service manual covers the electrical and it is the reprint of the actual manuals the Ford service departments have. I bought the one for my 68 (plus the 5 volume set for 69 since I'm hoping to find a 69 for my next project car) and I now use this manual more than the Haynes or Chilton that I also have for my car. The Ford service manual goes into much greater detail than the other two. They offer the manuals on CD rom (Adobe Acrabat reader PDF files) but having an actual book with you as you're working on the car I find is better.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
*update* i got the actual engine and drivetrain specs from the previous owner. he found the information the guy that did the work on it gave him. so heres what its got:
Mickey Thompson heads
high lift camshaft
bored .034 over
flat top pistons
4.11 rear gearing

carb (2bbl), intake manifold, exhaust manifold are still stock. what do you guys think its pushing now hp wise and what would give me the greatest gain to upgrade taking into consideration what has been modified??

EDIT: also how much does the bore .034 add CID wise??

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
You mean Mickey Thompson valve covers they say m/t on them only heads he made where hemi style for a 427.Change it to a 4 barrel and get some headers you'll see some power from that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.