Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What work will be needed to do this swap? I have a 1968 351w and I am going to using a C4 tranny. I plan on using a electric fan setup and I plan on cutting a hole in the hood for the scoop. Are there are mods I have to do to the chassis to get it to fit? I also would like to find a set of headers, but that is looking impossible.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The 351W is wider than the 289/302 and will be a very thigh fit. I would go with a nicely built 302 :bigthumbsup (headers, cam, etc.). This engine came in the the Mustang II.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would do the swap its very easy and the windsor isnt much so wider then taller its a taller deck so it will angle the heads more its not much wider and it will fit in the stock location. if you get the proper swap headers it can be done or if your good with welding i would make up a set. as for cutting the hood for clearance you probably will have to and run a boss 429 style scoop or a cowl. i like the idea and i say go for it. always dare to be different.

·
0 Posts
Putting a 289 or 302 into a 1975-1978 Mustang II is a bolt in affair, and a 351W is almost the same.

Putting any V8 into a 1974 Mustang II is different.

You've got several issues you will encounter while trying to put a V8 into a '74.

1. The radiator core support is further back: You can mount the radiator on the other side of it and use a pusher-style electric fan for the room, but forget about A/C; you're NOT going to fit a condensor in there anymore.

2. Motor Mounts: the 1975-1978 Mustang II motor mounts and frame mounts bolt into a '74, but they are hard to find, prices start at about $175 for a used complete set on Ebay.

3. Transmission crossmember: The 2.8 and 2.3 cars had some differences to the transmission crossmember, you'll be best off getting a V8 crossmember, and a dual-hump one if you can find it.

4. Rear-end: Many 2.3L cars came with the 6.25" rear end, which just isn't adequate for even a stock smog-era 302. Find an 8" Mustang II unit, or a 9" Lincoln Versailles unit.

5. Transmission: You've already found a C4, that's a great start, but it won't easily fit, especially with headers, without using the Mustang II specific bellhousing and an appropriately-sized torque converter.

6. Oil Pan: You'll have to make an oil pan fit, or find an oil pan from a Mexican 351W-powered Mustang II (while we were stuck with 130 horsepower choked-down 302s at BEST, in Mexico the Mustang II could be had with a 302 in 1974, with a four-barrel carburetor, and even a 351 Windsor some years!)

7. Driveshaft: You'll need to find the right one for a V8 with your chosen transmission.

8. Wiring: Being a '74 is actually a blessing here. The car is already wired for points-type ignition, so you can easily just buy a rebuilt points-type distributor at any parts store, swap in a Pertronix module, and use the factory wiring. The only thing you'll have to worry about is changing out the tach module inside the instrument cluster if you plan to use the factory tach.

9. General clearance issues: A sledgehammer and a grinder will become your best friends if you do this swap on a '74.

10. Structural Issues: Last, but not least, you've got to consider that this car wasn't really meant to have a V8. Ford changed more than just motor mounts for 1975 to make the return of the 302 happen, there are significant changes to the structure of the car. At the very least, you'll want to invest in a set of subframe connectors and V8 front coil springs.

I researched everything I could find on this swap back when I had my '74. In the end, I decided not to do it (I'd already done it on a couple of fox-bodies, which are much easier) and sold the car after I bought my '76 with it's factory V8. If you've got your heart set on your '74 (Lord knows they look SO much better, that's the one thing I miss about my '74), and you know you want to go for it, then by all means, do it! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
97 Posts
When i put a 302 in my 74, the hardest thing was the lack of clearance between the water pump nipple and the radiator (stock v-6 2 row) but it ran great and is goin back in again. Headers if u can find blackjacks (Holy Grail of II parts) u should get em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts