Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recentley joined this forum due to the small amount of threads in the swedish mustang forums concerning mustang II`s. The Q is about what to do with the exhaustsystem on my 1975 ghia. As it is now the system is the original system with a muffler on each exhaustpipe and these two are joined in an end "twinmuffler". To me it seems like this system will steel alot of power and effect.
So what system should i go for to upgrade ?
I have read some threads and undestand that due to the fueltank i have to let the pipes come out on the passenger side in a "twinmuffler". Can i skip the two extra mufflers and only have the twinmuffler in the end or is it bad?

Would be great with some hints and tips in this matter

cheers

G

·
Your best bet for dual exhaust on a V6 or V8 Mustang II is to do one of the following:

1. Run both pipes down the passenger side, using a dual-inlet dual-outlet muffler (Flowmaster and Dynomax both make mufflers like this that flow quite well and sound nice).

2. Run a pipe down each side with individual mufflers and have the pipes dump either right before or right after the rear axle. This will result in the loudest in-car exhaust note, and isn't legal in all areas.

3. Run a pipe down each side with individual mufflers and have the pipes exit in front of each rear tire. This is legal in most areas, and sounds okay, but the bends are pretty tight to make this happen, meaning it can be restrictive, and the lack of room limits your muffler choices primarily to glasspacks or cheap turbo mufflers.

4. Remove the factory fuel tank and mount a fuel cell in the trunk, allowing true dual exhausts with a pipe on each side exiting the rear of the car. This is the route I chose to take, as my factory tank was already a leaker, and this car will be seeing limited driving time anyway. This is NOT the ideal choice for a daily-driver or even a car that gets driven every weekend.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
great, i think i will have the #1, my plan is to build the system with 2.5" pipes, just to be sure that i will have an exhaustsystem which can deal with some power upgrades on the engines intake side also

1 - 3 of 3 Posts