Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just got a 1978 2.3L 4cylinder Mustang II sedan, and I paid $500 for it. This made me quite happy because it means I have $1500-2000 to get it to go FASTER. It runs well, considering the age, and just smokes a little at "hard" acceleration. I need a little more acceleration out of this bad boy, which I've name "Rowdy," but honestly I know nothing about these Ford engines. Does anyone know what I can do for this price range? I prefer to take it to a shop, but me and my buddies will be able to grind out most things that're not too advanced.

Help me out everybody, this is my first mustang!
I need a horsepower increase for 1500-2000 dollars!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

That was a quick reply, thanks!

What would you recommend starting with? I doubt I'm going to do an engine swap, so off of the list that you gave in the 7th post, what would you recommend starting with, taking into account the exhaust smoke?

Also, the T5, does it increase top speed much? And what cars could I pull those out of to plug directly onto my 2.3?

also,

rough price of exhaust installed? and suggestions for a sweet tone....:kooky:

Thanks so much. Can't wait to get this thing hot!
Jason

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have found that the best place to start is. A Ranger Exhaust manifold with a 2 inch exhaust back to as long as a Glass Pack you can find and get rid of the air cleaner and replace it with a Free flowing element. This will make the engine much more rev happy. Won't be a dramatic increase but 5-10 horsepower for 150 bucks is decent.

Re Read your post. For 2k you could build one hell of a N/A screamer or a Decent T/C 2.3 I suggest you take a look at http://www.esslingeracing.com/.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just dreamin and curious, but what do you think i could get it up to HP wise with $2000?:laughlitt:laughlitt:kooky:

·
Registered
730 Posts
4 banger cars ran around 2600-2700 pounds give or take a few hundred. As has been said about V8's a 300 horsepower 302 will make these cars fly. You could make around 200-300 from a BUILT N/A. But it will be rev happy and be quite un-streetable. I'm going for around 200 with my '78 and I plan to only spend 1500.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Toss a turbo motor in it and modd that with whats left.:bigthumbsup

1 - 8 of 8 Posts