Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just looking for some help on getting my mustang up and running again.
First of all it is a 1978 mustang cobra II, 302, 4spd manual.

What is happening, is the car runs fine at idle and you can rev it up and there are not problems, but as soon as I put it in first gear and release the clutch it barely runs and wants to die. If I do ride the clutch and rev it up a bit I can get it moving but the car is very jerky and wants to stall (has no power).

Here is the situation, the car has been sitting for approx 8 years, being started a time or two a year with no issues. It seemed to be running fine drove it around for a about a half hour then did an oil change, tune up (cap/rotor, plugs, wires). Then drove it to the gas station and out approx a half tank of gas in it. Then barely made it back...

What I have done so far. checked my wires to make sure they are not crossed or mixed up. Replaced the carb with a edelbrock 600 cfm (old one was gunked up from sitting). Also I have replaced the vacuum advance diaphram with a new one (old one was not holding vacuum.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone might have, sorry for the long story but just figured it would help in diagnosing what is wrong with the car. Also compression is all right around 130 psi. If you have any other questions just let me know. thanks

braxton

·
Registered
5 Posts
did you replace the fuel filter? did you change the timing? did you run out the old fuel? I think it may be a fuel pump or a fuel filter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, yes i did replace the fuel filter and i did drain the tank and put some new fuel in. At first i did not touch the timing, it was right around 10 BTDC, I have played around with it a bit and it is a bit better but it is still not running correctly (wanting to stall under load).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
found out the problem, it was the ignition coil. once it warmed up it was not building a very good spark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts