Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I just have a few questions about my mustang. I've never owned a car this old so I don't know what's normal or not.

First off, I get 14 miles per gallon, should I be getting more or is this normal for an older car?

When I start up, I have to pump the gas a alot, it usually takes about 30 seconds to a minute to start, even worse in cold weather.

Also, when I idle the car is fine, but when I put it in park it revs up to 2000.

Thanks for any info you can give me! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! sounds like some carb problems,check for vac. leaks and make sure the choke is adjusted right.have you tuned it up lately?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last time I had a tune up was about a year ago, I guess its time again, huh? I've been told about 50/50 that I need a new carb and that's it normal for an old car to act that way, so thanks for letting me know what's up! :)

G

·
Also, you didn't say what engine you have. Which engine you have dictates what gas mileage is normal. A 2.3L engine could see as low as 14 in town with really high gearing (like the 2.79s and other "highway economy" options that were available in these cars) and as high as 30-35mpg on the highway (again assuming those same 2.79 gears)

A 302 could see no more than 14mpg on the highway if out of tune (which yours would seem to be from what you're describing, mine fires right up with two pumps of the gas pedal and the turn of the key... and it needs an EGR valve) and outright disasterous mileage in town.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a 2.3, I think? If I should be getting 30 mpg highway...I'm going to kick my car. lol

But i've never gotten good gas mileage with it, even after a tune-up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy a carbureator manual and a rebuild kit and get to work. It's like therapy only cheaper. Also, check for vacuum leaks. This is easily done with carb cleaner at idle. Squirt a little at a time at connections and hoses (don't hose it down!) for vacuum lines. You'll need the carb cleaner for the rebuild anyway. Tip: Buy 2 cans 1 is never enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
it might give you what you need the only way to know for sure is crack the cover on 1. EBay is a good source for Ford carb manuals though. Check with your local auto parts store as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts