Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired my Cobra. Someone replace the 4 speed with an automatic. I want to go back with the 4 speed if I can find one. What other transmissions from the era, other than the Pinto will fit. Also does anyone have any pictures of the original Cobra seats in red they could send me?

·
Registered
99 Posts
The factory 4-speed is called the RAD. It is the same behind all 4 engines used in the MII (other than gearing differences). Other 4-speed choices might be the T-10 or the Top Loader from the early Mustangs, however these would require modifications to the MII bellhousing/flywheel/clutch, and possibly the trans tunnel.

Your best bet is a T-5 5-speed transmission from a late-model Mustang. Modifications are required for this swap also, but at least you get a 5-speed with OD for your effort. There are two paths...use the MII bellhousing/flywheel/clutch with minor modifications, or use the late-model bellhousing/flywheel/clutch with a rebalanced flywheel and stock exhaust manifolds. In either case, the trans mount has to be shifted rearwards and the shifter opening in the trans tunnel must be opened forwards. At least your AT driveshaft should be the right length when you use the T-5 yoke from the donor car.

Check the Tech sections of both The Mustang II Organization and Mustang II Network - 1974 - 1978 Ford Mustang II for more details.

The Cobra seats in the MII are just the "deluxe" seats available in all MII's. You can check for nice restored examples and color swatches on both of the above sites.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Saw a complete setup for the Mustang II on ebay a couple of days ago. But like 78CobraII said, if you have to buy everything why not buy to install a T5 and just drive the auto until you have everything then sell the auto to off set some of the cost :bigthumbsup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.